Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is this ?

Christina
Christina Member Posts: 6
Doh ! That explains why the thermostat doesnt work. I suspect it has died a dignified death after a long life of service. We just manually turn the furnace on/off with the emergency switch at the top of the stairs.. Thanks for your reply.

Comments

• Christina
    Christina Member Posts: 6
    What is this

Can anyone tell me what this is on top of my boiler ? There is an aquastat to the right of it. It itself is attached in the back of two the two pipes coming from the top of the boiler. It has an overhead "arm" that attaches to the other pipe. The only words I can make out are "honeywell" but I can't read anything else. Is it a circulator ? I was told our system is a two pipe gravity fed, and we do have an expansion tank in the attic. They also said it was a "T" system, but I don't know how the plumber could know that by just looking at the furnace (he didn't look at anything else). Thanks in advance
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557

I do believe it is an actuator, a motor that controls the valve in the piping. When your thermostat satisfies, the motor closes the valve so the heat stops rising.

You should go back into your post and do something so the picture doesn't appear here, but as an attachment that has to be clicked on. I thought we fixed that.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    I shrunk the pic

the fix might have worked for JPEG images, but the original was a BMP (Windows Bitmap) file. I shrunk it and saved it as a JPEG, then attached it.

That setup is essentially a giant pair of zone valves with a common motor that operates both. This boiler has or had a summer-winter hookup to provide hot faucet water, so the valves were needed to prevent gravity circulation if heat was not wanted. The coil that was used to heat the water was a "side-arm" type. It was fed from the horizontal pipe on which the aquastat (L4000) is mounted.

The aquastat is probably hooked up as a high-limit control that keeps the water from getting too hot- typically 180° F or so. There may be another such control on the old coil unit that closed the valves if the coil got too cool.

Not sure what was meant by a "T" system- maybe "tankless" to describe the coil used for the hot faucet water?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.