Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Portable room heater similar to Hydro-Sil

D107
D107 Member Posts: 1,860
So if I'm calc-ing right, in ny con ed electric where it's 19 cents/KW hour (all costs and taxes included) an 18 hour day of this will cost about $5.22 to cover the 1000 sq ft area it claims to cover. That's about $157 a month PLUS the $400 to buy it and I recall their lifespan is relatively short.

Given a situation where someone had a VERY small area of their house that heated badly and expensively due to a needed heating overhaul etc. it might make sense to buy a much smaller capacity unit for temporary use.

Now that I think of it, can 5K btu really cover 1000 sq ft? My 2nd floor has only 535 sq ft, a 12KBtu loss, 20Kbtu cast iron radiation. I don't know how they figure that.

Comments

• Nancy_4
    Nancy_4 Member Posts: 1
    Portable room heater similar to Hydro-Sil

I want to locate manufacturer of a portable room heater similar to Hydro-Sil in that it is self-contained, sealed liquid "loop" system that never requires refill. Ads were in newspapers earlier in winter but I can't locate now. It is a box about 2' tall and maybe 18" square. Housing never gets hot and ad showed kids and pets safely nearby. The system only heats one room and was touted to cut heating costs dramatically. DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT?
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,860
    Saw same ad--they called it Edenpure

edenpure.com edenpurestore.com

I was curious as well, but strangely they don't tell you the power draw of the units.
  • m dewolfe
    m dewolfe Member Posts: 92
    saving fuel

Yes...Nancy this will save a lot of money on your heating bill......However your electric bill will go through the roof. there is no free lunch when it comes to heating. the best answer is conservation and insulation....Mark
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    AND

making sure your existing heating systems runs as well as it can.
This discussion has been closed.