Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

any Solar people out there?

GW
GW Member Posts: 4,788
I would like to keep them off the ground. There are some trees, so higher the better.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=368&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• GW
    Panel location

I have a new building going up, bummer for me when the road went in a couple hundred years ago they decided to go North/South. So my gable end will be facing south, not the face of the roof.

Has anyone ever attempted to rig up the panel/tubes with my situation? How ugly is it? Can it be made pretty? I suppose I really would want the panel to be on top of the ridge to get a taste of the morning and evening sun. I really prefer they don't go on the gable; this would seem uglier than the roof.

Thanks,

Gary

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    the yard?

how about somewhere in the yard?
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    How creative do you

want to get?

I have a Schuco mounted on the wall next to my offic entry. Notice the snow covered panel on the roof, while the vertical mount continues to operate.

Some of the Euro controllers have two sensors for dual panel mounts. Pick up the east side in the morning, then switch to the west panel in the afternoon. PAW and others make a dual pump module to run two panels with that controller.

A clever guy could build a panel to match the angle of your gable. I have all the parts to do that. Except the glass cut to an angle.

The panel on my house is actually facing due north and it still runs a hot tank in the summer months.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • GW
    HR

I like the dog collector, how do you pipe out to the unit?

haha

What do you mean by "angle of the gable"? I thought the gable was the flat wall.

I suppose I could set some panel on each side of the ridge to cover my bases, this would keep the arrays below the ridge.

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    remember wind too

don't forget they need to stand up to large wind forces too.

I'm tring to decide the best method for my new PV panels, I need to consider at least 70mph wind speeds.

• hr
    I thought you

meant the flat gable end wall faces south? If so I suggested mounting the panel(s) on that vertical wall.

Most mounting hardware supplied with the panels has a certified wind rating. If you build your own, all bets are off :)

hot rod

• Ericjeeper
    Ericjeeper Member Posts: 179
    I built a rack for my panels in the back yard

friends always pull in and ask what time the movie starts though. The panels face due south. Now I wish I would have roated em just a bit to make use of the afternoon sun a little later in the day.
  • Ericjeeper
    another view. with the woodboiler for the non sunny days

I added this to totally cut out my fuel oil supplier..
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 457

looks like you need to move firewood underneath. looks like a great wood shed
  • Ericjeeper
    yeah

I will cut and stack under the panels for next seasons wood. This all came to play in a matter of days.. told the wife. "I am going to build a wood boiler" and she hastily replied"You have always got to be doing something" said in a huff.. what does she mean? LOL
    I think she would rather me just sit around and write checks to the Co-op for fuel oil.Not gonna happen
  • GW
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW

It means you're a guy and she's a gal. Everything is normal!

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • The Pina, Nina and Santa Maria....

The roof of your building will look like the armada of ships Christopher Columbus brought to America, coming across the ocean.

But it will work if done right. Provided that aesthetics are NOT a major consideration, you will want an angle of 23 -1/2 degress projected from the top of the front collector to the base of the next north collector. This is essentially the winter solstice angle (lowest angle of the sun) that occurs around December 21st.

Piping the array can be tricky at best and is not conducive to a drain back consideration. Best piped in parallel reverse return with a closed loop consideration. You may want to incorporate a snowmelt pad somewhere around the building for a heat dump during summer operation to keep the solar fluids from seeing stagnation temperatures (350 degrees F).

I presume you already know what angle to tip the collectors up towards the south based on optimum operation... If not, speak up.

LAND HO!!! (Jim Morrison and THe Doors)

ME
  • mark schofield
    mark schofield Member Posts: 153
    old Grumman system

I just re-roofed my daughter's house. Removed an old (30 yr) pair of Grumman Sunstream panels. The kind with concave aluminium collectors, Parker-Hannefin fittings, and CPVC piping to the tank/exchanger in the cellar. I'm going to mount them on a rack in the side yard close to the house and repipe. Too old to put them back up and then have them fail. But the system continues to work well. When the primary LP gas water heater dies (also 30 years old), I'm thinking about feeding the solar hot water to a Bosh Aquastar 125BS which is listed as designed for systems with solar backup. Anyone use one of these yet? The burner is supposed to modulate according to supply water temp. Good for 1-2 people. One appliance at a time. Thanks for the post of the rack mounted pannels. Mark S
  • hr
    I've heard rumors that Watts Radiant Onix may

soon have a solar listing. What a great way to pipe solar panels, with it's good insulative ualities :)

I've also seen some stainless braided Onix that could be used for the exterior portions.

hot rod

This discussion has been closed.