Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best steam trap testing equipment?

Gasper
Gasper Member Posts: 148
anyone..............................?

Comments

• Gasper
    Gasper Member Posts: 148
    Best steam trap testing equipment?

Actually my first post is "testing steam traps" but I meant to post a more specific heading. So this is it.

I'm looking at investing in a good ultrasonic steam trap tester. Any suggestions on what type, model, where to purchase, etc?

Also I'm what the experts think about this method of testing.

Thank You
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    steam trap tester

Never seen a ultrasonic trap tester....In my book the only and best way to test a trap is to observe the discharge of the trap...that's why there should be a union directly downstream of the trap.
  • William Faust
    William Faust Member Posts: 168
    ultra-sonic trap testing aka \"survey\"

I called a Tunstall distributor here in the Philadelphia, PA area. They charge $15 per trap. It makes more sense at that rate to replace the working parts or the whole trap.
  • larry_15
    larry_15 Member Posts: 55
    Ultra sonic

Pat:

I Have two ultrasonics one that cost around $1500.00 nad one that cost $4500.00 with the price you can see there is a differance. The less expensive one is the one I use for steam traps which has a attachment for sound, used for air leaks and refigerant leak likewise it has a cone for vaccum leaks and then a metal probe that I use for trap testing.

The other one is for medical gas leaks and vaccum line leaks I could use it on traps but that was not why we obtained it. It has a frequncey dail on it and a meter mode for aux. anolog and liniar sound then the frequincey can be adjusted from final band to about 10 kHz this is very good when working in a mechanical room and you need to find a leak with nosies all around you. you can look at UE Systems Inc. there web site is www.uesystems.com

Larry

Jci
  • larry_15
    larry_15 Member Posts: 55
    Ultra sonic

Pat:

I Have two ultrasonics one that cost around $1500.00 and one that cost about $4500.00 with the price you can see there is a differance. The less expensive one is the one I use for steam traps which has a attachment for sound, and I used for air leaks and refigerant leak. Likewise, it has a cone to help pin point the leaks, and then a there is metal probe that I use for trap testing.

The other one is for medical gas leaks and vaccum line leaks I could use it on traps but that was not why we obtained it. It has a frequncey dial on it and a meter mode for aux. anolog and liniar sound then the frequincey can be adjusted from final band to about 10 kHz this is very good when working in a mechanical room and you need to find a leak with nosies all around you. You can find them at UE Systems Inc. here is there web site www.uesystems.com

Larry

Jci
This discussion has been closed.