Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler size

Ken D.
Ken D. Member Posts: 836
The more sections, the higher capacity (BTU) of the boiler. The size is dependent on the heating requirements of the building, the hot water demand. You really should not fire a boiler less than the rated input, although I know it is done. To determine the boiler size, heat load calculations are a must.

Comments

• Rob_31
    Rob_31 Member Posts: 17
    Boiler size

I was looking through the manual for my Crown TWZ125 boiler, and I noticed that these boilers come in 3, 4, or 5 sections. What determines how many sections you should have? I see where you can get about the same BTU's in some of the 3 versus 4 section boilers, and 4 versus 5.

Thanks
  • Rob_31
    Boiler size

I was looking through the manual for my Crown TWZ125 boiler, and I noticed that these boilers come in 3, 4, or 5 sections. What determines how many sections you should have? There are instances where you could have a choice of the same BTU output, but in a different sized boiler.

Thanks
  • Rob_31

Thanks Ken,

I guess I should rephrase my question - the BTU rating I was referring to was for the oil fired burner. For example: Crown's model TWZ100 is a 3 section 16 gallon capacity boiler with a net rating of 104,000 BTU's. The TWZ090 is a 4 section 20 gallon boiler with a net rating of 97,000 Btu's. So how would you choose between these two, since they are very close in BTU output, but are a different boiler size?
  • Rob_31

Thanks Ken,

I guess I should rephrase my question - the BTU rating I was referring to was for the oil fired burner. For example: Crown's model TWZ100 is a 3 section 16 gallon capacity boiler with a net rating of 104,000 BTU's. The TWZ090 is a 4 section 20 gallon boiler with a net rating of 97,000 Btu's. So how would you choose between these two, since they are very close in BTU output, but are different sizes (water capacity)?
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Bob,

I am not familiar with Crown's line, but you are saying the 090 has more sections than the 100? Is the boiler the same besides the addition of an extra section? I have always kept the boiler size as close to the heat load as possible, but not below. If the load falls between 2 capacities, I will go with the larger. If the load is 100,000 and one boiler is 95,000 and the other 110,000, I'll go with the 110. If you get temperatures below design, you want that thing to heat. I also take into consideration the occupants, weather there are teens (who generally take loonnnng showers) large families where the doors are open and closed alot
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    nm

I'll learn to read soon. ;-)
This discussion has been closed.