Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

need more steam

Jam
Jam Member Posts: 1
I had an extension added to my home and had a good contractor replace my steam boiler and added additional steam radiators to the system. The new system works fine but one of the original radiators which is the farthest away does not get warm at all. The vent on the radiator breathes fine but I don't generate enough pressure at this far radiator. I have adjusted all radiator valves to minimum to try and keep pressure at the far radiator but no success. Any thoughts would be appreciated. The system is a single pipe steam type.

Comments

• Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Start here

What is the total connected EDR (Equivalent Direct Radiation) connected to the boiler? What is the EDR output of the boiler?

If there is a mis-match, the best bet is to lower your apparent EDR by insulating any bare piping (could be worth a radiator). Adding TRV vent valves can also (empirically speaking not a definitive study) act to decrease your apparent connected EDR by denying steam to satisfied rooms.

If your boiler output equals or exceeds your connected radiation, (and even if it does not) I would also see if your mains are properly vented. Is the room with the controlling thermostat oversized and satisfying the thermostat before the distant rooms see steam?

Many things to look at. Just a few that come to mind. Others will undoubtedly have more.
This discussion has been closed.