Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Delco Gm boiler . . to go or not to go?

Jamie_6
Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710
Dude.........

Give it up! It all has to be redone when the new boiler is installed so it will work correctly.

You can spend 5 grand to have it put in wrong and then another 5 grand to have someone come and re-install it right.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=289&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Daniel_3
    Daniel_3 Member Posts: 543
    With Pics!

So all I know about this boiler is that it was an oil fired converted to gas, it might have up to 6 gal. as it's water holding capacity, and it's rotted =)

What other info can you guys enlighten me with?
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    That thing was old

That thing was old when it used oil. The company who's name is on the sticker is LONG GONE. It holds more than 6 gallons. It is just as much of a gas pig as it was an oil pig.

Leo
  • Guy_7
    Guy_7 Member Posts: 1
    Delco

The original burner in that was a RotoPower, I am sure. The burner weighed nearly as much as a new boiler!
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    I like...

the way the original installer hacked away that main beam. (pics 46 and 52)

Scary!

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Delco

Serviced many an oil version. Many times they would be installed in a closet and you would have to stand on the burner to clean the flues. As I remember, the breech was a half moon shape. Used a Delco burner with a special design nozzle if memory serves. Gotta be from the late 40's or early 50's. You couldn't get a good fire when they were new. Looks like a good boat anchor to me.
  • Daniel_3

I know, I know . . .It's served it's time. What can anyone tell me about what would have to be done to the piping (ie. header, hartford loop, vents on returns) for new boiler install. Can anyone let me know what the piping looks like by the pics? I know the boiler has to go but I'm curious as to the piping around the current boiler. In pic 38 it seems the front most lower piping is the wet return back to the harford loop? Thanks!
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    I replaced my tan Delco GM boiler

this fall.

I posted the pictures: in this thread

It's been a warm winter so far so it's not saying much, but I'm sure not spending much on oil. I'm very happy with it so far.
  • Matt Undy
    Matt Undy Member Posts: 256

Notice that the beam is cracking from the notch too.

Matt
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Was that invented by Archimedes?

or is it from further back in the Yao Shan times of China?
  • Daniel_3

That checking is normal and not from the notching; just from movement over 80 years on a fieldstone foundation.
  • Daniel_3

Methuselah installed the insulation . . .
  • Daniel_3

Looks like my twin! Well I begin to see the light concerning who to choose for the job. Wish I could do it myself . . .but I can't.
  • Daniel_3

So what all has to be redone? Just the piping immediately about the boiler, right? Anyone here from MA like Fred who is close to the Worcester area?
  • Daniel_3

Yours was even in much better condition than mine . . .
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Near-boiler piping

and main vents, and a few other things- try the Find a Professional page of this site to locate a pro near you.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.