Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam system regulation. Tekmar? or thermostat?

Brad White
Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
Didn't you post this yesterday? You had at least two replies, one from me. Do check.
"If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad

Comments

• Jerry Knapp
    Jerry Knapp Member Posts: 2
    Steam system regulation. Tekmar? or thermostat?

I have a 7 unit building with a 5 year old Peerless 560,000 BTU boiler. The system is currently controled by an outdoor sensor that simply turns the system off at a set temp. which I have set at 55 degrees, and also a consensate return sensor which I have set at 155 degrees. Besides the pressurtroll and low water cut off these are the only controls I have on this system. It doesn't offer much control. I'm thinking about installing a Tekmar 269 however will I recoop the cost on this size building? Another thought is to put a $150 thermostat in the boiler room with a remote sensor in one of the apartments. I would keep the condensate sensor and connect the thermostat in addition in series. If you have gone through a similar case please give me your input. Also input on a thermostat if that is the route you think I should take. Thanks Jerry
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    the problem with the remote sensor tstat

is that the building is at the mercy of that tenant.

Cases in point:

Tenant has two torchiere lamps for heat, um, light. Building goes cold at 5pm to 11pm. Overshoots when everyone is getting ready to sleep.

Tenant gets too hot, dancing to hip-hop played @ 105 decibels. Opens window. Heat comes on, tenant opens second and third windows. Other tenants usually satisfied with only one or two windows open (!).

Tenant having been served eviction notice savvy enough to know what that temp sensor box is for. Places bag of ice on top. Building owner gets $8,000 one month gas bill for 6 unit apartment.

These are all true stories.

The Tekmar prevents these troubles. Also, you may hook up to two remote temperature sensors to prevent overheating under certain conditions. It takes the lower of the two sensor's inputs. This way, the torchiere torture or the db dance can't create problems.

It really is worth it. Take time to understand what the control offers once you get it. I would also recommend setting up the operation of the 269 in your building with the remote sensors switched off at first. This way you are optimizing the control for greatest comfort and efficiency. The sensors then prevent unusual circumstances from blowing the heating bill or otherwise allowing gradual rises in indoor temperature.

-Terry

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

• Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,235
    I've had good experiences...

... with both.

In smaller buildings, a thermostat with remote sensor works fine if you can hide the sensor. I use the Tekmar ones that look like a blank wall plate in install them with tamper resistant screws.

The Tekmar control is the best way to go, and with six units, I would go with the best. Just make sure that the steam system is properly balanced so all the radiators heat at the same time and that the radiators are properly sized for each room. This way you'll have no complaints.

A two or three family place may not rate it, though and the remote sensor may be enough. I use them with a Honeywell VisionPro thermostat.

And don't be cheap with heat, it's not worth it. You only save a few bucks and the people will revolt and you'll pay one way or another. They'll rip the vents off, piss in the radiators and stuff like that. I heat set to 70-degrees around the clock in my places and everyone's happy.

Long Beach Ed
  • Patrick Mullaney
    Patrick Mullaney Member Posts: 67
    Model #

What is the Tekmar Model Number you use? I have a 3 unit building and the thermostat is unprotected on the first floor. My tenant sets it where I ask her and she does not play with it. But, I am thinking of going remote and placing the thermostat on the 2nd floor somewhere. Would be interested in the 2 sensor option as well.

Are there any drawbacks such as range, frequency issues conflicting with other "remote" type of devices - phones, cell phones, wi-fi, etc?

Thanks.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    Tekmar 269

Sounds like something you could write a Country-Western song around, doesn't it? "Comin' round the bend, the steamer...the Tekmar 269... " ;)

Any wiring run in parallel with conductors may pick up interference or harmonic distrortion. (Hertz sine waves like to jump the track speaking of old trains, what is up with this?)

My stock solution is to use shielded wire. I bought the end of a spool of 16 GA Sheielded Fire Alarm wire for $30 and it seems to be lasting. It is red so unless used in commercial work with existing fire alarm wiring, you may go for the black, white or gray stuff.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,270
    I like the Tekmar 269

I install about 10 of these units per year and my clients love them. They are very flexible and while you may find yourself going back to make adjustments 2 or more times after the initial installation, it is definitely the right move.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Patrick Mullaney
    ROI Question

Brad - did you see my question in the other post regarding ROI on a Tekmar 269...?

Your spoof was funny as my son is infatuated with trains - made me think I should set up his new Lionel set Pop-Pop gave him for Christmas. Thanks.
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Patrick-

I thought I did see the ROI thread and responded to it, maybe?

And what do you mean "spoof"? I was serious! :)

Yes you had better set up that train and soon.... Nothing sadder than a Lionel HO set going round and round a brown, crackly, dead Christmas Tree.... unless it is part of a Tim Burton movie or something :)
  • Patrick Mullaney
    Just checked - not answered

http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2l.&Thread_ID=44090&mc=5

Am very curious. Thanks to some great work and dedication from Cosmo, I may have my system "functional" to a point where all my tenants get even heat and the boiler runs more optimally. Now, I am already looking to next winter and taking the system to the next level to gain even more efficiency all around. So, the ROI question is kind of important considering the kind of utility bills I have been paying for the past year.

Thanks.

On a side note, my father has an enormous collection of lionel trains from when he was a boy - he will be 68 this year. Since my son is the only grandson at this point out of 5 grandchildren, it is plausible considering he is so infatuated with trains, that he may have a rather large collection one day. And all my dad's trains are in pristine condition. It is pretty cool.
This discussion has been closed.