Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NTI Trinity Issues? Service record?

Options
Rob_34
Rob_34 Member Posts: 21
I have sold a few and installed fewer but when I had questions regarding technical service I always had a fast response.

Comments

• Ross_7
    Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
    Options
    NTI Trinity service issues?

I often ask Dan Foley if there have been any issues with all of his Triangle Tube Prestige installs. So now I figured that I would ask NTI Trinity Ti Installers on the Wall, if they have had any issues with these boilers at all, or with the manufacturer, as far as tech support or availability of parts. Thanks for the input in advance.
    Ross
  • Ross_7
    Options
    what was the problem?

What was the reason that you had to call tech support?
    Just curious.
    Ross
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 765
    Options

I have installed several of them. It is the con boiler of choice for me.

Dave in Denver

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Ross_7
    Options
    Any issues, Dave?

Dave,
    Have you had any issues with it being hot surface ignition as compared to direct spark ignition? How about the Fenwal Ignition modules?Thanks for any info!
    Ross
  • Ross_7
    Options
    anybody else?

Anyone else have any input on this?
  • Rob Blair
    Rob Blair Member Posts: 227
    Options

On a job where the owner was having problems I was called in and there was a problem related to the installation of the intake piping. The installer did not support the intake and the weight of the pipe broke a part on the pressure sensor that goes into the elbow before the gas venturi. No big deal. Otherwise I had a few questions on the CO and CO2 levels during a combustion test. Always answered right away or had someone on call during off hours.

Rob
  • Ross_7
    Options
    Thanks!

Thanks Rob, Just curious that's all. I appreciate the input. Always curious about issues that tech run into in the field with different equipment.
    Ross
  • Joe Brix
    Joe Brix Member Posts: 626
    Options
    I have installed a few.

I am, for the most part, very satisfied with the Trinity. I had one fenwal unit go out on me, but it could very possibly have been due to outside electrical problems.

I agree that tech support has been very responsive the few times I have had to call them.

Starch
  • Dave Larsen_2
    Dave Larsen_2 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    trinity experience

We sell the trinity line. I've only worked with this distributor for less than a year ( contractor for 25yrs before) and was rather skeptical of this boiler at first, but now I have helped a lot of contractors with their initial start up and I have to say that this is a very well built and thought out unit and the people at NY thermal have been one of the best companies I've ever dealt with!! I'll proudly put one of these in my house this year!
  • Ross_7
    Options
    Hello Dave

Hey Dave, How's it going? I talked to you in Escanaba at the Able Dist./ Hydroflo seminar on NTI boilers. I'm trying to narrow down what I would like to install in my house. The footprint of the Trinity is nice, plus the all of the features. I do however like the TT Prestige Solo 110 also. My skepticism is based on service work in the field. Especially, with hot surface ignition, and Fenwal ignition modules. I remember the W-M HE days, plus some Trane rooftops that I used to service. So, you can understand where I'm coming from. I would just like to know some info & track records of certain equipment before I invest thousands of dollars into buying a new mod/con boiler. Maybe you could e-mail me a breakdown/price list for the Trinity, I know that you have the "Night call out kit", but I would like an itemized list of parts,if that's possible. Thanks for lending an ear! Good hearing from you!

Ross
  • eric_2
    eric_2 Member Posts: 148
    Options
    Trinity Issue

Seems like they are having a condensate issue with some recent boilers. I have had nothing but an excellent track record with them so far. Seems to be a minor issue but I'm glad to see them coming forth with it. Better than the "Gee, this is the first time this has been reported" line.......
  • Dave Larsen_2
    Dave Larsen_2 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Parts list

Give me a call and I'll get you a full parts list this week, looking forward to hearing from you.
  • Rob_34
    Rob_34 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    What do you mean by condensate issues??/

• I've been hearing they don't actually generate much condensate even on low temp systems.. anyone have any thoughts on that?
  • Dave Stroman
    Options

I installed a Ti200 on a cast iron radiator system the other day. We did not have the floor drain hooked up yet so I ran the condensate line into a 5 gallon bucket. When I came back 24 hrs later, the bucket was overflowing. I would say that it had no problem producing condensate.

Dave in Denver

• Ross_7
    Options
    Parameters

Dave,
    what did you set your parameters at for the Ti200? what is your design temp in Denver?
    Ross
  • Dave Stroman
    Options

The Trinity has a built in reset and DHW prority. I set the reset curve at about 80. That means that at 80* outdoor temp I will send 80* water to the rads. The outdoor temp at the time of install was about 30* which meant I had about 150* or 160* going out to the rads. Becasue of the high mass of the system and the high water content, the thermostat usually cycles off before the return water temps ever get above condensation temp.

This boiler has a built in system pump relay and a DHW pump relay. That is fine except I always use a boiler pump too. So I have to use a couple of relays to bring on the boiler pump whenever one of the other pumps is running. I always use a Grunfos 2699 for the boiler pump. This enables me to also use a flow switch to protct the boiler. I always use one. The internal snap disks just are not quick enough to see a no flow situation.

I will see if I have a few photos.

Dave in Denver

• Rob Blair
    Options

Just received an notice from the NTI rep this morning that the Y on the condensate tubes on Trinity boilers manufactured between Dec 13, 2005 and Jan 1, 2007 are being recalled for a replacement of the Y.

As far as condensate production, the ones I have installed really put it out. Just like Dave said.

Dave, I like the use of the Ferncos for connecting the intake and exhaust.

Rob
  • Greg_40
    Greg_40 Member Posts: 43
    Options

I have several Trinity units in service and am pleased with the product. I like the changes in the 'Ti' series over the 'T' s regarding turning the gas valve assembly 90° and the electrical connections for easier service. But, I miss having both vent pipes entering the top. Comcustion air is now drawn in from beneath and it makes for not quite as neat looking an installation as before IMO. The Trinity gives a lot of bang for the buck.
  • Ross_7
    Options
    condensate change

Didn't they just change that like a year ago from a different setup?
  • Dave Stroman
    Options

The condensate drain was changed recently so that the boiler could be installed as a floor mount. I guess they sell legs for it. I have had several boilers where the condensate drain plugged up and filled up the heat exchanger. I ended up just removing the little ball and have not had problems since.

I have had some problems on the early T boilers with the control board. It has since gone through several generations of improvements and no problems for a long while. I did have to replace the Fenwal a couple of times on the same boiler. Go figure. And the igniters seems to be a week point, at least on the T boilers. And the fan switch was a problem on a few of them. I have not had any failures on the new Ti boilers at all. They improved the fan switch and the igniter as well as reconfigured the heat exchanger for better service access. I, too, do not like the air connection on the bottom, but I do like the fact that the boiler is wall hung.

There are several good boilers out there and they all have minor problems with them sometimes. I just picked one, the Trinity, and decided to use that one mostly. I carry all the repair parts except the heat exchanger. I have installed the Buderus and the Knight and they were both great. But I know if I ever get a call back on them I will not have any parts for them. Makes me nervous. Had a late night call last night on a Trinity. Zero degrees and the house had been without heat for sometime when it was discovered. An hours drive, a quick replacement or the igniter, and back in service. What a headache if I had not had the parts.

I wonder how other boilers do with igniters. I sometimes think I should give every homeowner a spare just in case they can not get in touch with me.

We do many boiler replacements on cast iron radiator systems. The con boilers work wonderfully. Here is a pic of a rad in a bath where we have no floor space to put one.

Dave in Denver

• Austin In Colorado Springs
    Options
    NTI Trinity boiler

Dave, Have you had any issues with it being hot surface ignition as compared to direct spark ignition? How about the Fenwal Ignition modules?Thanks for any info! Ross

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: January 12, 2007 04:14 PM
    Author: rob Blair

On a job where the owner was having problems I was called in and there was a problem related to the installation of the intake piping. The installer did not support the intake and the weight of the pipe broke a part on the pressure sensor that goes into the elbow before the gas venturi. No big deal. Otherwise I had a few questions on the CO and CO2 levels during a combustion test. Always answered right away or had someone on call during off hours.

Rob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: January 12, 2007 05:04 PM
    Author: Ross
    Subject: Thanks!

Thanks Rob, Just curious that's all. I appreciate the input. Always curious about issues that tech run into in the field with different equipment. Ross

Date: January 12, 2007 01:37 PM
    Subject: anybody else?

Date: January 12, 2007 05:20 PM
    Author: John Starcher
    Subject: I have installed a few.

I am, for the most part, very satisfied with the Trinity. I had one fenwal unit go out on me, but it could very possibly have been due to outside electrical problems.

I agree that tech support has been very responsive the few times I have had to call them.

Starch

Date: January 12, 2007 10:11 PM
    Author: Dave Larsen
    Subject: trinity experience

We sell the trinity line. I've only worked with this distributor for less than a year ( contractor for 25yrs before) and was rather skeptical of this boiler at first, but now I have helped a lot of contractors with their initial start up and I have to say that this is a very well built and thought out unit and the people at NY thermal have been one of the best companies I've ever dealt with!! I'll proudly put one of these in my house this year!

Date: January 13, 2007 07:50 AM
    Subject: Hello Dave

Hey Dave, How's it going? I talked to you in Escanaba at the Able Dist./ Hydroflo seminar on NTI boilers. I'm trying to narrow down what I would like to install in my house. The footprint of the Trinity is nice, plus the all of the features. I do however like the TT Prestige Solo 110 also. My skepticism is based on service work in the field. Especially, with hot surface ignition, and Fenwal ignition modules. I remember the W-M HE days, plus some Trane rooftops that I used to service. So, you can understand where I'm coming from. I would just like to know some info & track records of certain equipment before I invest thousands of dollars into buying a new mod/con boiler. Maybe you could e-mail me a breakdown/price list for the Trinity, I know that you have the "Night call out kit", but I would like an itemized list of parts,if that's possible. Thanks for lending an ear! Good hearing from you!

Ross

Date: January 14, 2007 09:58 AM
    Subject: Parts list

Give me a call and I'll get you a full parts list this week, looking forward to hearing from you.

Date: January 13, 2007 08:19 AM
    Author: eric@ferguson
    Subject: Trinity Issue

Seems like they are having a condensate issue with some recent boilers. I have had nothing but an excellent track record with them so far. Seems to be a minor issue but I'm glad to see them coming forth with it. Better than the "Gee, this is the first time this has been reported" line.......

Date: January 14, 2007 11:59 AM
    Author: Rob Blair
    Subject: What do you mean by condensate issues??/

Date: January 14, 2007 01:18 PM
    Author: NRT.Rob

I've been hearing they don't actually generate much condensate even on low temp systems.. anyone have any thoughts on that?

Date: January 14, 2007 01:56 PM
    Author: Dave Stroman

I installed a Ti200 on a cast iron radiator system the other day. We did not have the floor drain hooked up yet so I ran the condensate line into a 5 gallon bucket. When I came back 24 hrs later, the bucket was overflowing. I would say that it had no problem producing condensate.

Dave in Denver

Date: January 14, 2007 02:37 PM
    Subject: Parameters

Dave, what did you set your parameters at for the Ti200? what is your design temp in Denver? Ross

Date: January 14, 2007 06:04 PM

The Trinity has a built in reset and DHW prority. I set the reset curve at about 80. That means that at 80* outdoor temp I will send 80* water to the rads. The outdoor temp at the time of install was about 30* which meant I had about 150* or 160* going out to the rads. Becasue of the high mass of the system and the high water content, the thermostat usually cycles off before the return water temps ever get above condensation temp.

This boiler has a built in system pump relay and a DHW pump relay. That is fine except I always use a boiler pump too. So I have to use a couple of relays to bring on the boiler pump whenever one of the other pumps is running. I always use a Grunfos 2699 for the boiler pump. This enables me to also use a flow switch to protct the boiler. I always use one. The internal snap disks just are not quick enough to see a no flow situation.

Dave in Denver

Attachments: Work Photos 013a.JPG, Picture 007a.JPG, big boiler 034a.JPG, Kitsutaka 002a.JPG, rands 009a.JPG

Date: January 15, 2007 09:03 AM

Just received an notice from the NTI rep this morning that the Y on the condensate tubes on Trinity boilers manufactured between Dec 13, 2005 and Jan 1, 2007 are being recalled for a replacement of the Y.

As far as condensate production, the ones I have installed really put it out. Just like Dave said.

Rob

Date: January 15, 2007 07:06 PM
    Subject: condensate change

Date: January 15, 2007 09:24 AM
    Author: Greg

I have several Trinity units in service and am pleased with the product. I like the changes in the 'Ti' series over the 'T' s regarding turning the gas valve assembly 90° and the electrical connections for easier service. But, I miss having both vent pipes entering the top. Comcustion air is now drawn in from beneath and it makes for not quite as neat looking an installation as before IMO. The Trinity gives a lot of bang for the buck.

Date: January 15, 2007 07:59 PM

The condensate drain was changed recently so that the boiler could be installed as a floor mount. I guess they sell legs for it. I have had several boilers where the condensate drain plugged up and filled up the heat exchanger. I ended up just removing the little ball and have not had problems since.

I have had some problems on the early T boilers with the control board. It has since gone through several generations of improvements and no problems for a long while. I did have to replace the Fenwal a couple of times on the same boiler. Go figure. And the igniters seems to be a week point, at least on the T boilers. And the fan switch was a problem on a few of them. I have not had any failures on the new Ti boilers at all. They improved the fan switch and the igniter as well as reconfigured the heat exchanger for better service access. I, too, do not like the air connection on the bottom, but I do like the fact that the boiler is wall hung.

There are several good boilers out there and they all have minor problems with them sometimes. I just picked one, the Trinity, and decided to use that one mostly. I carry all the repair parts except the heat exchanger. I have installed the Buderus and the Knight and they were both great. But I know if I ever get a call back on them I will not have any parts for them. Makes me nervous. Had a late night call last night on a Trinity. Zero degrees and the house had been without heat for sometime when it was discovered. An hours drive, a quick replacement or the igniter, and back in service. What a headache if I had not had the parts.

I wonder how other boilers do with igniters. I sometimes think I should give every homeowner a spare just in case they can not get in touch with me.

We do many boiler replacements on cast iron radiator systems. The con boilers work wonderfully. Here is a pic of a rad in a bath where we have no floor space to put one.

Dave in Denver

Attachments: Kitsutaka 008a.JPG

Dave, Have you had any issues with it being hot surface ignition as compared to direct spark ignition? How about the Fenwal Ignition modules?Thanks for any info! Ross

Date: January 12, 2007 04:14 PM
    Author: rob Blair

Rob

Date: January 12, 2007 05:04 PM
    Subject: Thanks!

Thanks Rob, Just curious that's all. I appreciate the input. Always curious about issues that tech run into in the field with different equipment. Ross

Date: January 12, 2007 01:37 PM
    Subject: anybody else?

Date: January 12, 2007 05:20 PM
    Author: John Starcher
    Subject: I have installed a few.

Starch

Date: January 12, 2007 10:11 PM
    Subject: trinity experience

Date: January 13, 2007 07:50 AM
    Subject: Hello Dave

Ross

Date: January 14, 2007 09:58 AM
    Subject: Parts list

Date: January 13, 2007 08:19 AM
    Author: eric@ferguson
    Subject: Trinity Issue

Date: January 14, 2007 11:59 AM
    Subject: What do you mean by condensate issues??/

Date: January 14, 2007 01:18 PM
    Author: NRT.Rob

I've been hearing they don't actually generate much condensate even on low temp systems.. anyone have any thoughts on that?

Date: January 14, 2007 01:56 PM

Dave in Denver

Date: January 14, 2007 02:37 PM
    Subject: Parameters

Dave, what did you set your parameters at for the Ti200? what is your design temp in Denver? Ross

Date: January 14, 2007 06:04 PM

Dave in Denver

Attachments: Work Photos 013a.JPG, Picture 007a.JPG, big boiler 034a.JPG, Kitsutaka 002a.JPG, rands 009a.JPG

Date: January 15, 2007 09:03 AM

Rob

Date: January 15, 2007 07:06 PM
    Subject: condensate change

Date: January 15, 2007 09:24 AM
    Author: Greg

Date: January 15, 2007 07:59 PM

Dave in Denver

Attachments: Kitsutaka 008a.JPG

Dave in Denver.
    You sound like the guy to talk to. I have the Trinity T200 (for hot water heating and domestic supply) and have had no end of problems. It has failed a number of times (not good when it is 0deg outside) and I have had several parts needing replacement (heat exchanger, gas regulator, etc). I am in Colorado Springs. Recommendations?
    Austin

• Austin In Colorado Springs
    Options
    NTI Trinity T200

Dave in Denver.
    You sound like the guy to talk to. I have the Trinity T200 (for hot water heating and domestic supply) and have had no end of problems. It has failed a number of times (not good when it is 0deg outside) and I have had several parts needing replacement (heat exchanger, gas regulator, etc). I am in Colorado Springs. Recommendations?
    Austin
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Options
    Lots of condensate

produced by the ONE I have out there. Got two more going in soon. I like the way the control works and the consolidated wiring package. Customer raves about the low gas usage in a 5000 Sq. ft. glass, steel, and concrete home(all tube-in-concrete).
  • Jed_2
    Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
    Options
    There IS a Problem

with the condensate Y-fitting. I have 3 GT-200's and a GT-150 locking out due to condensae build up. Smith knock-offs, but Trinity's nevertheless. Condensate acid is the culprate. TT is frantically testing a replacement.
  • Rob Blair
    Options

Is that the model with the condensate trap installed below the "Y"? They stopped using those traps and now just have you make a loop in the condensate tubing.

Rob
  • Dave Stroman
    Options

Austin,
    My question is how do you know that all these things need replacing? Does it still work? The early models did have some problems. But these problems did not include the heat exchanger. Most of the problems I have seen with a con boiler is improper installation. Pumping is the biggest problem. That can ruin a heat exchanger.
    A gas reg? Do you mean the gas valve? What else has failed?

Dave in Denver

• Jack Waller
    Jack Waller Member Posts: 31
    Options
    TI Trinity + ESP Hi-Velocity

Hi All: Some of you may recall my DYI Trinity install, and thanks in part to some kind folk in this group, I am happy to say I am as Happy As A Lark. Leon at Energy Saving Products here in Edmonton also did his part knowing that I was close to freezing without a fan coil at around MINUS 20F. So he had his guys just before Christmas assemble me the first ever Low Velocity unit (same blower) having the new 3 phase motor and controller.

As an electrical engineer I am just so impressed with this unit. It wires up to 120-230, 50 - 60 Hz without any selection jumpers or concern for voltage or frequency. The 3 phase motor is 3/4 Hp on all blowers yet it looks like about 1/4 hp. The unit is smooth and ramps up to speed without a sound. A set of dip switches lets you choose virtually any speeds you like and it runs on constant (low) using I'm told less than a 100W light bulb. I hope to be doing some tests myself soon. There are two other speeds for two stage thermostat hookup but I am hoping to control it as variable speed.

As for the trinity it is working flawlessly. I now have my workshop subsystem that runs off my heat exchanger fully functional. My hay wire fan coil that presently heats my basement floor is still the old surplus air conditioning coils I scrounged and I can hardly bring myself to remove them, it works so well. My radiant floor in my basement air plennum is also working great being high mass to allow me to cycle less (only half is presently under 11/2 of concrete). It is pumping continuously off one of the series loops so it stores heat any time any secondary calls for heat and this works great. There is a lot more to this if any one is interested.

Still lots to do but here are the latest picks along with one or two older ones.

Jack in Edmonton Oiler Country
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Options
    Trinity 150c

I have just installed a 150c unit in a 2500 sq ft house with a Taco 011 pump and 2 zones. However whenever the call for heat in either zone the unit has gives off a lound pulsating sound like a freight train is running through. I have had the local Irving Propane repair crew out 3 times and they do not seem to know how to fix this. any ideas?
  • Ross_7
    Options
    Analyzer

Did they dial the boiler in with a combustion analyzer, and check the gas pressure?
    try that first!
  • Dave_4
    Options

Call the tech support at NTI and talk with them. They are very cooperative.

Rob
  • brad_20
    brad_20 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    NTi

Nti has recently added a toolbox to their website allowing you to troubleshoot the trinity by anawering yes or no to a series of questions and then giving remedies based on your input. Great idea and they are as far as I know the only manufacturer doing this.

The only issues I have seen are from installers not reading the instructions.

It is a great boiler for the cost and modulates much lower than the closest competitor. They are also coming out with a new control that can take the dips and spikes in voltage.
    Great company grat boiler.
  • Stan W_3
    Stan W_3 Member Posts: 6
    Options

I had a simular problem, I phoned the NTI tech, Jason,Helpful techs. Although it qas a Natural gas boiler, I had adjusted the gas presures without a manometer, or a combustion analyser, (lean or rich ) tring to get less blue, more orange colour on the burner , looking through the sight glass. It solved the problem, as directed by Jason. Also make sure that the exhaust and combustion air supply are 3" Abs,( increase the diameter at the boiler, the 2" outlet/inlet, if the lengths are more than 15',( as oposed to 2" venting to the outside) Also of where and the spacing of the vents terminate, ( if it is on the wind side of the building.)Do you have elbows on the venting? and which direction are the elbows facing, into the predominate wind, This maybe another reason why the freight train sound, was occuring every so often, Murphy's law, it did not sound off while I was there when servicing it, but I had solved the problem.
  • Dave_4
    Options

Found out the unit was drowning itself. The newly installed Y "recalled" tube for the condensation drain was not working properly and the condensation was backing up into the unit. Luckily no damage but about 1 1/2 hours on the phone with tech suppoprt and the local installer retesting everything until the problem was finally found. Now it runs smooth as silk.
  • Boilerpro_5
    Boilerpro_5 Member Posts: 407
    Options
    easy to do

You can figure about 1 gallon per hour 100,000 btu/hr input at continuous full fire. That boiler, which sounds like a 200,000 unit could fill that bucket in only 2.5 hours.

Boilerpro

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Cassman
    Cassman Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Trinity 150 er6

My 3 year old trinity boiler won't stay lit?
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Options
    Service

When was the last time it was cleaned that boiler needs to be cleaned yearly.

• Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Options
    Won't stay lit or won't light reliably?

Get someone with a combustion analyzer to give it a cleaning and tune it up. The mixture is probably off.
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Options
    Won't stay lit or won't light reliably?

Get someone with a combustion analyzer to give it a cleaning and tune it up. The mixture is probably off.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Start a new post for this

You'll be lost in this old post.

Have you tried their tech support?

A few more details will be needed--NBC
This discussion has been closed.