Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viessmann Solar

Mike, I am the Viessmann rep in Phila so if you want to go to their solar class, let me know. Wheels and myself will be going up this year. I am waiting for them to release the class schedule. nciasullo at rdbitzer dot com.

Comments

• Simply Rad_2
    Simply Rad_2 Member Posts: 171
    Viessmann Solar!

OK we just finshed the install last Friday.With the little sun we had over the week end and shade from the neighbor's roof we were still able to bring the lower 1/2 of the Viessmann dual coil tank form 80 to 125 degrees. This is a simple DHW system with a single tank dual coil solar. The system is shaded mostly for the months of December and January, but we are still able to provide over 70% of the DHW use.
    We chose the Vitosol 300 because of available wall space, the flat plates simply were too big, but the 30 tube fit just perfect. The home has egress windows on that side of the home that need to have access the snow from the roof cannot slide by code and design(snow cleats and gutters). Since we average over 300" of snow a year the collector would be buried if we mounted it on the roof so we chose the vertical wall. It will work just great. I am very impressed so far.
    During the install of the tubes, which was done around 5:00 at night, the manifold was getting warm even with direct sunlight or all the tubes in (at that time we only had 20 installed). The evacuated tubes go together very easy they perform well and they look great.

Jeffrey
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Very nice

That looks great. Is that the Caleffi solar module? Nice low loss header. ;-)

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Nice

don't you love the array of connections to the solar expansion tank. Looks German :)

What size tank do you have. 30 seems like a lot of tubes? Should provide some really hot DHW come summer :)(
    I guess the beauty of evac tubes is you can remove some if summer brings too much of a good thing.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,788
    nice job

what angle are you running on the array? Looks pretty steep. We're about to fire up a system; stood them up at about 69* for space heating dominance.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • mike from pa.
    mike from pa. Member Posts: 17
    WOW

That looks impressive!

I have been debating starting into solar heating. I was wondering where to start. Any classes? instruction courses you would recommend?

Thanks!!!!
  • mike from pa.
    WOW

That looks impressive!

I have been debating starting into solar heating. I was wondering where to start. Any classes? Instruction courses you would recommend?

Thanks!!!!
  • Good job Jeffrey

Is the collector mount adjustable? Who makes that mount? Nice job, thanks for going solar, Bob Gagnon

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Simply Rad_2
    Simply Rad_2 Member Posts: 171
    Answers

Andrew- The pump station is PAW whcih uses a Willo pump, basically the same set up as the Divicon pump station(my solar wholesaler recommended it over the Viessmann forget the all the reason now). We did use the Caleffi air relief vent on top of the array. Yes the Radiant Engineering low loss header, great for space savings. Long story but I had it on my desk for 1 a and I finally used it.

HR Yes this is a Viessmann expansion tank I love the built in bracket system.
    30 Tubes is a great design for this sytem we used TSOL to simulate the system. Something you should look into Check out the attachments

Gary the collectors are mounted at 67 degrees better for the winter sun, here in colorado we have too much summer sun so the steep angle helps.

Mike in PA Solar classes. Find out if PA has a state solar organization and join. I am a certified designer/installer of the Colorado solar energy industries association-great way to start then try and take so manufactures classes. My favorite were Viessmann and
    Caleffi.

Bob
    Thanks for the praise...THis is a Viessman rack which in this case is not adjustable but if you used a flexible connector instead of copper you could adust it very easy.

Hopefully that answered all the questions. In the mean time I just sold 2 more of the exact same systems.

Jeffrey
  • mike from pa.

Thanks for the info. I will look into it!

Stay warm

Mike
This discussion has been closed.