Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steamer changeout ( Ron Jr. )

and we connected the baseboard zone to the coil . We dropped the header into a 2 1/2 inch boiler main to dry that steam out . We also repiped some of the heater flue to position it totally above the boiler fluepipe .

Comments

• After shooting my mouth off

that we haven't done many steamers this season , this was our 2nd in 3 days . I think it was an American Standard . It had a baseboard zone piped to the stem water side . It was a semi - nightmare dismantling this hunk a junk and getting it out of the basement . About 8 or 9 turns , tight hallways and stuff packed everywhere . It was a fun Friday .
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    With before and after shots like that

selling new steam systems ought to be a lot easier, Ron. The sheer space saved (visually if not in footprint) alone shows the care you took.

Simplicity itself. Happy, Lucky Owner!
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Ron jr.....

Very nice ! see you never should have said you haven't been doin a lot of steamers, now you goinna get them all LOL

Looks great as always! a true livin deadman!

David
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Going on a safari hunt?

The biggest challenge would seem to be smoking out this camouflaged tiger from the jungle it was hiding in. Cute catch.

This was a job for the persistent hunter. Are you planning to have it stuffed into a trophy? it would fit in next to the jackalope. :)

• Ray Landry_3
    Ray Landry_3 Member Posts: 94

Ron, great work as always! It seems like no matter how the piping that is existing in the basement is laid out, your installations all have the same clean serviceable look whih is really nice. Do you make your headers with pre cut nipples or do you cut and thread on site? Also, on the V73(SP? I can't quite remember the model it was under 800 sf of steam) I put in, I did not do a dropped header, I had lots of height to play with, even though in retro spect it would have been easier to pipe, and would've dried the steam out even more (Bear with me I'm still a steam newbie!) One thing I do remember burnham being specific on was a minimum of 18" from the first ell to the second ell, then an increase to 3" black for the supply take off and equalizer drip. I'm sure what you did would work fine, but in my instance without the dropped header, and a 2" parralell flow system, was following the 18" rule and increasing to 3" over kill? I probably could have just got a way with 2" if I did the dropped header I guess? And maybe done an increase to 2 1 1/2" as you did, those 3" fittings where tough to find (emergency job) Also, why do you use the m.m. probe lwco versus the hydro level? Do you not like the 10 minute water level check feature?

FYI to everyone installing new oil fired appliances. I put in a burnham just like Ron's here that had a beckett AFG with an envirocom primary control. There is a factory installed resistor soldered onto the 'tt' terminals. Somehow this got bent during the install process and would intermitently touch the t/t2 wire spades to the left of said resistor, thus stopping the pd timer/ burner fan ect from working. I installed an insulated spade cover to cover up the unprotected wires so that it would not happen again, but it is VERY easy to do so watch out!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Those steamers

are a nice change of pace from the 2 or 3 zone water boiler replacements . But these last 2 were doozies . Both of them had only one steam main , so it coulda been worse .

Thanks alot David .
  • Yep

I'm trying to get the sales dept. set up with before and after pics they can show our customers . We could even run off a batch of CDs with pics .

We do like to keep it simple . It's the nature of the beast here on Long Island where almost everyone expects a boiler to be replaced in one day . Thanks alot Brad .
  • Christian

We did the old draw and quarter on the carcass . I didn't notice the safari look till I edited the pics . That's pretty funny . But I am kinda myopic when we're ripping out . At that point I'm thinking about the header and how we're gonna connect it .
  • Ray

Yes we use precut nipples for these changeouts . It costs more but the time savings is incredible . Before woking for my present company we always threaded 2 inch by hand , and it sucked . It did turn my partner , Chrispy Chicken , into a monster though .

I would say increasing the boiler header diameter is more important than a drop . The Burnham V83 specs call for just one 2 inch supply pipe and boiler header . We go one step up to 2 1/2 inch . The drop is not a necessity but in my opinion it does give any carryover water in the steam another chance to separate from it . It also gives you another swing joint to make the header up easier . But if you stick to the specs , the system will work fine . Increasing your header to 3 inch and using the 18 inch horizontal run was definitley the right choice . If you have the room , the 18 inches is optimal length to shoot for . Most of the time we're hampered by tight rooms and such , so we keep the distances to a minimum .

We use M.M. LWCOs exclusively on our steam boilers , and they have performed excellent over the years . The Hydrolevel has a 10 min. water level check ? Is that adjustable ?

Thanks for the heads up on the resistor and the kind words Ray .

• Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Al Corelli_2
    PRECUT NIPPLES???

Oy Vey!

Is there no love for the Ridgid 300?

No wonder you're in and out so fast.

Now, you owe me a beer.

We use PS801 LWCO and VXT feeders for ALL steam systems. However, on Smith 28s, we are going to MM #42 controls for LWCO and VXT actuation.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

• frank_25
    frank_25 Member Posts: 202
    pre cut nips

We have the helpers pre cut in the shop during those days when time & jobs don't require their presence.
  • Al Corelli_2

• Al Gregory
    Al Gregory Member Posts: 260

Your installs are always the most fun to look at because they are most like the jobs I get stuck with. Whenever I think I got the courage to post a pic though I see yours and say I better not lol
    Great looking work again and BTW I love precut nipples. When you have to be out of there by 3 to have a chance to do the no heat calls that come in while putting in a boiler time is a factor.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Love steam

It just make's my day to see a beautiful new steamer put in so nicely. Awsome job per the norm. Now I have about 15 (or 50) that I'd like you to replace for me. That way I'm not beating my head against a wall to service them. Keep up the good work my friend. Your a true artist and a testiment to the trade!!!
  • Joe@buderus_2
    Joe@buderus_2 Member Posts: 302
    Nice to look at

Ray stated it - no matter what the piping was before your work looks neat proffesional, serviceable, etc.. Thanks for the before and after pictures - always a treat.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    New Burnham Steam

Ron,
    Just curious if you've tried one of those new Burnham steam boilers yet, they look pretty and I'm interested to hear some input.

C
This discussion has been closed.