Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best way to remove a plug from a steam radiator

I agree with Bob. Have had only one or two come out easy over 40+ years in the trade. Grind it flat, **** punch the center, drill it out and retap with 1/8" NPT tap.

Comments

• SteveJones
    SteveJones Member Posts: 14
    Best way to remove a plug from a steam radiator

An older cast iron (I believe) steam radiator has a plug in the side. If I remove this plug I can screw an air vent into this location. I have not yet tried to remove the plug, but I am worried that it might be stuck, get stripped in the process, etc. It is a flat-headscrew driver type plus, its been in there for a LONG time I am sure, and has been painted over. Should I heat up the surrounding area on the radiator with a torch before trying to remove it? I don't know if heating a cast iron radiator could break it / make it crack or something.

Any advise from you guys with experience?? Thanks!

PS I am doing this as the current air vale is connected to the radiator with an extension pipe (which is need to to the location of that whole). Could eliminating the extension pipe allow the air vent to work better and quite down the radiator? Its noisey as heck! Lot of gurgling noises.

Thanks again
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    drill & tap

drill it out with proper size drill & re- tap with corresponding pipe tap. take your time.
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Plug

Pep Boys or other automotive store sells a tool its called an "impact driver" I've used it on old radiators and it works well.
  • Matt Undy
    Matt Undy Member Posts: 256

I hadn't thought of that. That is an excellent idea. Probably need to use a bit of care so as to not break the radiator with the impact. That's the "if I had started with that I could have saved 3 hours of drilling, grinding, and swearing, but now its too mangled for that to help" tool..that I don't own.

BTW you can also get them at Sears or nearly anyplace else that sells mechanics' tools.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Mechanics+Tools&pid=00947641000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Automotive+Specialty+Tools&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Probably want to get an insert bit that is the exact size of the slot in the plug.

Matt
This discussion has been closed.