Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler over sized

Options
Dave_4
Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
Having an oversized boiler mostly means the boiler will cycle more often than optimal, providing a less efficient performance. With the proper controls the boiler should be able to provide the required heat and I doubt any savings on efficiency with a properly sized boiler would make up for the cost of replacing the oversized one.

I would do the heat loss calcs myself and don't rely on the amount of EDR installed.

Comments

• joe_89
    joe_89 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    boiler over sized

What if anything can i due to a one pipe steam system work more effiently, that has a boiler 2 times bigger then what i needed. Its a 3 yr old gas burnham.
  • Matt Undy
    Matt Undy Member Posts: 256
    Options

How did you determine the boiler is oversized? Did you calculate the EDR of your radiation and compare it to the rating of the boiler?

The boiler can sometimes be underfired somewhat, but not by 50%. Uninsulated pipes would increase the amount of steam the system consumes but could cause other problems.

Matt
  • joe jr.
    joe jr. Member Posts: 16
    Options
    boiler over sized

I had a someone come in and he measured all my radiators,and determined i would have been good with a boiler that puts out 85,000 btu's instead of mine that is rated for 175,000. Thanks
  • Paul_11
    Paul_11 Member Posts: 210
    Options
    not big enough to care

With either boiler,you have a very small boiler. As long as it is piped and vented correctly, I would not worry about it.
    Are you having some kind of problem?

Respectfully,

Paul B. Shay
    pshay@arealgoodplumber.com
    LMP 1307
    LMFS 654B
    212-505-1837
    917-939-0593
    OUR MISSION: TO PROVIDE WORLD CLASS PLUMBING, HEATING, AND SPRINKLER SERVICE TO EACH AND EVERY CLIENT WE SERVE, FAR EXCEEDING THEIR HIGHEST EXPECTATIONS!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Since 1990, I have made steam systems quiet, comfortable, and efficient. We provide comfort while saving the planet.
    NYC RETROFIT ACCELERATOR QUALIFIED SERVICE PROVIDER

A REAL GOOD PLUMBER, INC
    NYC LMP: 1307
    O:212-505-1837
    M:917-939-0593
  • Ross_7
    Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
    Options
    oversized

If the person calculated the correct EDR, even if is piped correctly, it is still oversized for the load. It is still a problem, and, should be addressed. How's the venting situation?
    Ross
  • Plumb Bob
    Plumb Bob Member Posts: 97
    Options

> Having an oversized boiler mostly means the

> boiler will cycle more often than optimal,

> providing a less efficient performance. With the

> proper controls the boiler should be able to

> provide the required heat and I doubt any savings

> on efficiency with a properly sized boiler would

> make up for the cost of replacing the oversized

> one.

>

> I would do the heat loss calcs myself and

> don't rely on the amount of EDR installed.

• Mitch_6
    Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
    Options
    Contact the manufacturer

I have seen (but not actually done myself) several occasions that one or two logs were removed.

You must have the blessing in writing from the manufacturer to do this and should do a complete combustion test both before and after.

Mitch S.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.