Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Frustrating

Dave Stroman
Dave Stroman Member Posts: 766
I noticed that if I preview my posting, then click on post, I do not have to type in the letters in the little box.

Dave in Denver

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Geez !

I thought the "time out" was lengthened to 2 hours or more ? I can't take a 20 minute phone call w/o losing my post before it's even posted :(

If my Spam count was down, I'd not mind. But, my Spam count is up or at least the same as before.

Cut and paste left me after Kindergarten and my patience for doing things twice is near zero. Mostly :)

Just needed to vent.

Thanks for listening, carry on.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,582
    Time out

is six hours.
    Retired and loving it.
  • It tripped on me again too Dan...

Same message as before.

ME
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    I seem to be fairly familiar with this page *~/:)

I realize i live in a different time zone, and maybe i type like a snail on downers however ,say the average reply is ,like a three toed laurs having a conversation with a wombat...i still figure there would be a momment to squeeze it into the time slot. i dont own a watch. it would probably add to the confusion of my day and make me wonder ,'what time is it?' too many instances a day ...however,if i did own one, i think ,the big hand would be making a pretty good arc across it's face as i wrote this *~/:)

if it had a countdown meter on the page that wouldnt help much either...as i am busy looking over the top of my by focals and basically unable to see the screen as i plink away at the key board:)
  • Uni R_3
    Uni R_3 Member Posts: 299
    The Duct Tape Solution

If it times out you aren't totally pooched...

1. Hit the back button - that gets you back to your response

2. Highlight it all and copy it all (well all but your title)

3. Then press Cancel to get back to the thread

4. Push Reply again

5. Type in the title and paste back your fine smithed words

6. Press send before the next distraction strikes!
  • Perry_3
    Perry_3 Member Posts: 498
    Dan

I believe that the "6 hour" limit is for how long the site software recognizes that you are signed in.

There is a very different time limit on the section that relates to writing a post. It has to be on the order of 15 minutes or so.

Since I am known to be long winded (amoung other things) I almost always get an error message when I attempt to post. I have to copy the post, cancle the previous attempt, and then start a new "reply" session.

It has always been that way.

Of course, the other problem is that I'm closser to a 3 finger typest and not a professional "touch" typest at all (3 fingered typest are 50% faster than 2 fingered typest).

Perry
  • DanHolohan
    I will

ask Invision again.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Matt Undy
    Matt Undy Member Posts: 256

If this is a common problem for you, you can write the post/reply in notepad or something similar, then just paste it in when you are done.. I've never had a problem myself...

I have used other interfaces to really horrible software where the write it somewhere else, then paste option is the only viable option.(don't use Word, use notepad or wordpad, word's smart quotes crap screws up your punctuation when you paste into a non-microsoft product)

Since Dan seems to be reading this thread, I'll just tell him thank you, this site is great as alway, though I'm pretty sure I have a problem with the amount of time I spend reading here...

I read an article he wrote in Old House Journal a few years ago and followed the link here..I always look forward to fall/winter when Dan usually writes an article for OHJ

Matt
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, Matt.

I appreciate that.
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Looking into it.

Retired and loving it.
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Perry

That's EXACTLY what happens to me. I am a six finger typist and am afraid if I try to paste I will be reduced to four :)

I HAD a nice rant about NYS gov't and utility regulation on the $2/therm thread, in spite of the distraction.

Oh well, hopefully it will change.
  • scott w.
    scott w. Member Posts: 209

I think some one said this before and it works quite well as I sometimes have to preview several times so the post looks coherent.

SO the dang thing don't time out on ya DO THIS!!!!! It works!!!!!

1. Type in the nice letters and numbers in the box as required.

2.IMMEDIATLY click on the preview button, then click re-edit button to come back to the screen to type the post. If you take to long to type and its still times out just hit the preview button again after a few sentences. If you go back and forth between these screens every 15 minutes that should keep from getting the dreaded random text screen of death.

Dan, this is a great site and a bit addictive. I find that I have to get my fix at the wall every day.

Respectfully submitted
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    All I do

is hit the back button from the error screen, it reload on my browser and presto, there's a brand new fresh code to type in. Works every time.

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

This discussion has been closed.