Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant question

One thing I don't know a lot about is radiant. We have a customer with one zone of radiant. Covers an area roughly 20 x 40, 2 rooms. He has insufficient heat, one side of the floor is warm, one side is cold. He tells me it is a single loop, 1/2" PEX, 1200 feet long, Taco 0010 pushing it and a Sparco 3/4" mix valve. Sounds way to long to me. No manifold, just one loop. It was recommended we try a bigger circulator.

What do you think?

Comments

• jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    reversing direction

add a 3 way valve to reverse flow direction( change direction every 15 minutes). can the zone be 'chopped' in half or thirds?
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    long loop

That loop is insanely long. I think Mark Eatherton has done some work with reversing the flow periodically based on pump run-time. That might even the temperature a little.

I would try constant circulation on that zone with outdoor reset. That will give the system a chance to reach some sort of equilibrium. You might even do this in conjunction with the flow reversing valve. It will cost them, but 1200 feet is incredibly long.

edit: As jp said, If there is any way to break this loop into smaller pieces, that is the way to go.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    \"The Long Way Around\"

check out the April 2004 issue of www.pmmag.com for an article on long loop challanges. Siggy modeled a 1000 footer in the HDS software, in his monthly column there.

The 4 way reverser in that article made it's way to my shop for some data logging. Here is the printout of the mid point sensor on a 800 foot loop with that Paxton reverser flopping every 15 minutes. It actually did a great job of getting the middle of the loop to a reasonable temperature.

Paxton would love to get some more of those 4 way reversers out in the field. Contact Leif at www.paxton.com

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    How Often?

Hot Rod,

Just curious. With all the do-it-yourselfers thinking in-floor distribution systems are a no-brainer do you run into this problem often?

I often offer ways to save to my customers $$$$ but I insist that they follow my layout in order to stick to my quotes.

I like equal length loops with a reverse return piping arrangement.

I apreciate the fact that there are remedies for poor design but pump life, debris turbulence and other problems must occur when flow directions are changed!

I am a product of bid and spec work for most of my career and design is almost always done by professionals. I truly have never run into this.

Rich K.

Thanks , I consider you amongst the best!
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    How Often?

How often to you run into this? Can there be that many poorly designed systems out there?

Rich K.

Make Peace Your Passion
This discussion has been closed.