Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The Wall is Great, and so are the People

Ted_9
Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
Good job Cosmo.

Massachusetts

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=373&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Patrick Mullaney
    Patrick Mullaney Member Posts: 67
    Found a GREAT Contractor - Cosmo - From The Wall!!!!

A testament to the Wall and the community. I found an amazing Steam Heat professional to tackle my "small" but critical job in a 3 unit apartment building to get my steam system running correctly.

Cosmo Valavanis has been a great source of help for me and the tenants who live in my building. He has been responsive, informative, communicative and very willing to travel a bit out of his area to help someone in need. What I love most is that even though he is somewhat of a young guy, he was taught by old timers and takes an old timer approach to Steam. Kind of nice considering my building is over 100 years old and the steam system not too far behind.

For anyone in the greater Allentown, PA area I would highly recommend giving him a call if you need any steam help. Major kudos go out to Cosmo!!

Thanks.
  • Patrick Mullaney
    Patrick Mullaney Member Posts: 67
    TTT

• Daniel_3
    Daniel_3 Member Posts: 543

Hey Ted, you up to taking a look at my system? I'm looking for quotes . . .I'm in Worcester.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,365
    Greek POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, the ancient Greeks were great plumbers and heating men.....the genes have been passed down. Cosmo & Ted are both excellent and at the top of their field. Glad you found Mr Cosmo. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Hellenic heating

Thank you to Patrick.

I lament to say that I have been off the wall for a while battling the three headed dog from Hades- sickness/relationships/over work

Patrick has a once fine working coal fired one pipe steam system in a solid Victorian. Now converted to gas, and some real "workmanship" (re;sarcasm) the system has been neglected for a long time. I have so far done the usual- flush/clean/skim, add/modify main venting. Now I am just trying to balance the system.

The sad part is finding capped run outs off the main, gee I wonder where that went? I am afraid that the transformation from single home to 3 apartments created some funky steam piping between floors that were covered up with drywall, not to mention goodies like the bullheaded T on the steam main. So somewhere I think that one of the 1 1/4" risers was capped, and the radiators fed from a different riser to make way for walls or get rid of the exposed riser.
    Looks like the uneven heating may be due to too much velocity in an overburdened run that may be causing the uneven heating due to the gravity counter flow condensate getting in the way.

If this is the case the best I think I can do without opening walls to investigate re-piping is keep the pressure down, and get the right venting combo.

Anyway, I will do what I can to make everybody as comfy as possible.

Thanks for all the nice comments,

Cosmo
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Wall

This site is the best PHVAC resource anywhere. Dan hit a homerun with this. Take a bow, Dan.
This discussion has been closed.