Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

accessing thermocouple

> Usually the pilot burner can be removed by <BR>
> unscrewing the 2 5/16" screws that hold it in <BR>
> place. Be careful when removing burners as they <BR>
> have to be reinstalled properly so that they <BR>
> don't become dislodged or tip.<BR>
> <BR>
> Mike T. <BR>
<BR>
How would one remove that from the gas supply? The gas supply is what blocks access to getting out the burners? It's very similar to the setup seen here:

http://masterplumber.net/Burnham%20Boilers.htm

Comments

• Hello all...

I'll say upfront that I am a novice...(so apologies in advance for my ignorance.

The pilot on the boiler to my hydronic heating system won't stay lit. The thermocouple, from what I can tell, looks worn and seems to be the problem. I'd like to replace it myself. To access the business end of the thermocouple, I (believe I) need to pull out the burners on my Crown Aruba (approx. 12 years old). I'm not entirely sure how to do so. First, I have turned the gas off, of course. In trying to figure out how to get the burners out, I realize that I need disconnect the feeder pipe (feeding gas to the burners) from the control box (is that right?). THe pipe is threaded into the control box and the only access it looks like I'd be able to get is by unscrewing four allen bolts that lead into the control box...(perhaps the union will be found in here??). Is that accurate? Or am I going about this all wrong?

Your assistance is appreciated.
  • accessing thermocouple

Hello all...

I'll say upfront that I am a novice...(so apologies in advance for my ignorance.

The pilot on the boiler to my hydronic heating system won't stay lit. The thermocouple, from what I can tell, looks worn and seems to be the problem. I'd like to replace it myself. To access the business end of the thermocouple, I (believe I) need to pull out the burners on my Crown Aruba (approx. 12 years old). I'm not entirely sure how to do so. First, I have turned the gas off, of course. In trying to figure out how to get the burners out, I realize that I need disconnect the feeder pipe (feeding gas to the burners) from the control box (is that right?). THe pipe is threaded into the control box and the only access it looks like I'd be able to get is by unscrewing four allen bolts that lead into the control box...(perhaps the union will be found in here??). Is that accurate? Or am I going about this all wrong?

Your assistance is appreciated.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,340
    Caution is advised here

Usually the pilot burner can be removed by unscrewing the 2 5/16" screws that hold it in place. Be careful when removing burners as they have to be reinstalled properly so that they don't become dislodged or tip.

Mike T.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    a bad idea

A novice working on gas puts you & your family at a extremely bad risk. hope you got plenty of life insurance. work on stuff you know about. gas leaks are often fatal.
  • Empire_2
    Bob is on the money here.

Call a Professional to do the job correctly and Plus really go over the equipment for proper safety and operation inspections! You will get the work done with a pros experience.:-)

Mike T.
  • I'll agree with Bob

Working on any gas or oil appliance without proper training is never a good idea. I'm really surprised that anyone in this trade would put up a web site like the one you posted the link for. For your safety and that of your family have a professional deal with this.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Not a job for a novice

Call a professional, if the thermocouple looks bad. Chances are the burners need cleaing and proper firing etc should be checked. This sounds like a reactive response when proactive service is the best way to go with heating and a/c equipment.

Peace of mind and well tuned equipment is not only more efficient it is safer!

Rich K.
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,067
    proper procedure for replacing a thermicouple

locate the rating plate and record the make, model, and serial number. Contact the mfr. for a list of qualified dealers nearest you. Then, call around and check references. Ask as many people as you can from varied backgrounds about these companies. Look for proof of training by this mfr, gen. liab. and workers comp. insurance, etc.

Then HIRE THEM!.

A lowly thermocouple is one of the most critical in this appliance. If you install the wrong part, damage it during installation or other components, you void the warranty on the appliance and gas controls, could void your homeowner's insurance, and if working in the trade but unqualified to do this work, lose your liability insurance. The other side of things going wrong when you replace a TC is you may change the dropout rate. If the pilot flame goes out but it takes too long for the safety magnet to close and you go BOOM!

Be satisfied when the job is done and you feel you diagnosed the problem. However, if the safety magnet is bad in the valve or if there is an interrupter installed, other things could be wrong.

HTH
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,067
    proper procedure for replacing a thermocouple

locate the rating plate and record the make, model, and serial number. Contact the mfr. for a list of qualified dealers nearest you. Then, call around and check references. Ask as many people as you can from varied backgrounds about these companies. Look for proof of training by this mfr, gen. liab. and workers comp. insurance, etc.

Then HIRE THEM!.

A lowly thermocouple is one of the most critical in this appliance. If you install the wrong part, damage it during installation or other components, you void the warranty on the appliance and gas controls, could void your homeowner's insurance, and if working in the trade but unqualified to do this work, lose your liability insurance. The other side of things going wrong when you replace a TC is you may change the dropout rate. If the pilot flame goes out but it takes too long for the safety magnet to close and you go BOOM!

Be satisfied when the job is done and you feel you diagnosed the problem. However, if the safety magnet is bad in the valve or if there is an interrupter installed, other things could be wrong.

HTH
  • Empire_2
    Wow Bob,..That is interesting.

I see what you are saying, but man...... The Federal government works this way and that is why things take so long to complete. I personally don't care who makes the furnace, but I would be more concerned with the Gas valve manufacturer rather that the equipment manufacturer.:-) I agree that a Pro should do this work, No doubt. Standard part that needs to be installed by qualified person, but taking 6 day's to inter view and research is to much.....lol:-)

Mike T.
  • Empire_2
    Glenn,...

Can I possibly get some literature on your complete line of water and steam boilers please? Is there somewhere I can call to talk with you?

Mike T. Empire Mech. Buffalo, NY
This discussion has been closed.