Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

slow recovery for indirect water tank

hello,

subject says it all:

double boiler system with 120 gal Rheem insulated tank for domestic hot feeding 12 500 sq ft one story units (finned baseboard). due to current denver cold snap (10F highs) the tank has been taking at least 1/2 a day to recover. my sense is that all units are calling for heat full time and the tank is low priority in the system.

any ideas on how to speed up this recovery time or to reprioritize the domestic hot?

thanks in advance,
ziptied in denver

Comments

• ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Tekmar

It sounds like this system is a candidate for a Tekmer 262. Is the tank on priority at all right now? Is the heating system keeping up ok? What kind of boilers?
  • John_82
    John_82 Member Posts: 63

make sure the tank is proiritized, the pipe is sized correctly for the btu's required to produce/recover the demand and that the pump is sized to overcome the pressure drop of the coil in the tank. Store the water at 180 and use a thermostatic mixing valve set at 120 to lengthen the draw time of the tank and give anti-scald protection. if usung zone valve, make sure it's full port.
  • ziptie (Denver)
    ziptie (Denver) Member Posts: 5
    slow recovery for indirect water tank

thanks for the replies guys.

this system in question has issues:(

once the temps allow i'm looking into a tekmer and will post what i come up with.

ziptie
This discussion has been closed.