Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Copper tube bend sizing

amhplumb_2
amhplumb_2 Member Posts: 62
Thanks Hot Rod, kinda thought that too, sometimes I can get over technical!!!

Comments

• amhplumb_2
    amhplumb_2 Member Posts: 62

As noted in another post by me, I recently had to do a sizing of a piping system for a circulator! In all of the tables that I have and looked through, there were no friction loss added length factors for properly made bends on copper tubing. The tables that I have gave them for long & short pattern elbows, but not bends. Has anyone seen a table, or are there formulas?
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Bends in copper, just a pex

really don't add enough pressure drop to be concerened. Even a couple dozen, or more, 6" radius bends in a pex floor loop don't add up to much, if any drop.

I haven't seen a bender that could "field bend" copper less that 1 4" radiuys, on 1/2 copper, without starting to egg shap it. My 1" curvo does head 1" copper to an 8"

I suspect their is some radius "number" where the pressure drop does become an issue. I'd be interested in knowing where that number lies. I'm sure flow rates would play into the formula.

Generally in hydronics we design below 4 feet per second velocities. I wonder that even a long sweep copper ell would have much drop at those flows?

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.