Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What Water Temp Needed Here???

John Mills_5
John Mills_5 Member Posts: 952
What a maroon!

Comments

• I lost-out,,,,,,,,

on this house as the guy was in so much of a hurry to get started, so I stopped-in to get a few of my things as I already did the basement slab, and this is what this installer is doing! I can`t see how this is ever gonna heat, shy of 200* temps, what do you think?

Dave
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    electrician?

i take it, a buddy of his can do electrical work too? no permit job?

the tubing "looks" nice :)
  • Uni R_2
    Uni R_2 Member Posts: 589
    Dave

Priceless - 200 on a shoulder day maybe... OSB is aspen and resin (a resin like they make light switch covers from). That ought to help keep the floor from striping at least!
  • don_185
    don_185 Member Posts: 312
    How can that be?

You've done the slab and they get someone else to finsh the project for you?

I would be asking them to sign me off this job today.

• Uni R_2
    Uni R_2 Member Posts: 589
    All this Ugly talk...

Any chance that an inspection may save the owner from his own stupidity in hiring that hack?

I don't even think 200 would stripe the floors with heat. OSB is made from aspen and resin like they make wall outlets plates from. The floor is is pretty well insulated in much of it from the PEX.

Good grief!
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    Nice start, now waiting

for the last passes which will heat the floor with plates...

It is like one of those IQ tests: "What is missing from this photograph?"

I see this as 1/3 of a complete job, just something missing where it counts.... There is time to salvage things, I hope. I would actually count the tubing now installed for something (such as warm joists...)
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    what I'd do....

I'd come up with a quote to fix it. explain to the owner why the system will not work, tell him why its going to cost so much more to fix later.

when he realize everything you said has came true, he'll know why he should have had you do it in the first place.

another bad system does no good for the industry. In the long run it may cost you more work, bad news travels fast, and it ends up being "radiant floors don't work"
  • I Whole-Heartedly Agree JP,

for you and Brad`s reasons, even though I did not get the job, I`m thinking of calling him and telling him to READ THESE POSTS!
    As I mentioned previously, he got in such a "rush" he left me no time factor to finish the design.

Dave
  • Rediculous...

Nothing more, nothingless...

ME
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Egads and Gadzooks!

I've heard of "staple-up" to the side of joists, but in the top crux of an I-beam? ZERO radiation to the floor itself and the absolute worst place to enhance natural convection! Conduction only through at least 2 1/4" of wood not counting anything on top of the floor!

With high insulation below and exceptional attention to detail it might work provided low load and high operating temperatures. If the boiler is a mod-con, I can only say "complete waste".
  • Uni R_3
    Uni R_3 Member Posts: 299
    Dave -- You have to post pic #3!!!

Thanks
  • OK Uni, old friend,,,,,,,,,,,,

this is the one I think you meant. Again, how is that supposed to heat anything?

Dave
  • Uni R_3
    Thanks...

And to think that homeowner will probably admire the job until he freezes his cojones off! LOL

I hope he pays you what he owes you right now, cuz he's going to be fuming at everyone and their uncle when he discovers that he has no heat on these floors.

The road to hell is paved by lowbidders!
  • Brad White
    Finally!

A little coverage under the floor. It is improving as we speak...

:)
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Where.

do you see that Brad?, in the runs to the loops? Things get no better! Perhaps here Brad,,,,,,Ultra Fin, LOL!????? (Just Kidding I`m Canadian EH?) I remember!

Dave
  • Brad White
    Pic. # 003 of course!

Tubing actually run perpendicularly to the floor sheething!

It was a joke Dave.

A weak one, I grant you. But a joke.

:)

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • I`ll,

get you for that Brad! One way or another!

Dave
  • Brad White
    Face off, Hockey

On the lake. Next July.

Be there!

:^)>

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Brad,

you gotta know I was just kidding, we all hate losing jobs, but to this? Like jp said, it gives radiant a bad name, and I tried to design-it right, and he gave me no-time!

Dave
  • Brad,,,,,,,,,,

I`ll kick your Asssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!

Dave
  • Brad.

July??? there`s water running here??

Dave
  • Uni R_3
    Reflectix!

Finally... and sadly enough, it might just score highest of 'insulation savings' verses 'total installed cost' infrared floor surface temp mapping insulation tests using these new ultra high temp / high pressure PEX heating systems, that they've pioneered to heat up homes up in Canada.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    dont count on that for heat...

instead look at as floor warming insulate the lower part of the bay and size it for radiant pannels.

run constant circ low temp through it...*~/:)
  • Thanks Weezbo,

your always there, and your opinion always means alot!

Dave
  • Weezbo
    Here is how that thought works....

You dont bad mouth the homeowners attempt at radiant heat, you do put a system in that will work and You come off looking like you really know how ta doit.... it turns into a wonderful thing, as you dont have to remove and replace and couple tubing:) it is not a half bad deal :)
  • But Weezbo,

I would never "bad mouth" anyone, this is a "professional radiant installer" figure that-one out! How can this work? Are you saying, after the fact it can be fixed?

Dave
  • Weezbo
    ok, :) drop off a thick plate and tell the homeowner...

you have plenty of them:)

ok :) then suggest he run some heated water thru the pipe before he covers the floor /ceiling joist..

after the fact fix...no less so than the drainage or the wiring..
  • Weezbo
    Brad..The ever optomistic:)

you mean that one Quick clip> :))
  • Weezbo,

sorry man, but I`ll have to think about that-one as I have no idea what your talking about!

Dave
  • Weezbo intrepretation...

"Your floors WON'T be cold... I'd suggest you consider forced error.. (Forced air...)

Or, "Nice fire protection system Mister. Can it do air conditioning too? Forced Error can!"

Or, "I'm sorry, I'm not licensed to work on mobile homes..."

I'm pretty sure I've seen something like that in some manufacturers catalog. Radiant Rail???

Wonder what the TJI manufacturers thoughts would be if they knew what they were doing to their chords. You're not allowed to get within 1/2" of the chords with a saw cut...

ME
  • Thanks for your help Mark, if it does?

I always enjoy talking to Weezbo, but I gotta admit, it`s not always easy!

Dave
  • Weezbo
    burned some daylight with Rocky at the wholesalers...

he has naother way to say this .. How can they DO That!? :))

it must be some special language we adhere to after time:)
  • Weezbo.

I`m lost???????

Dave
  • Weezbo
    I Love This Place:))

Can you explain the 1" X'"s screwed to the bottom of the top chord of the BCI's?

i think it is designed as a convection plate:))

think about it... nnah.. on second thought...those people already have taken your good work and molested it with something that is counter indicative to comfort; physical ,psychological and finacial. :)
  • Brad White
    No hablo Hockey, eh

Hablo el kayak y la Scuba

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Brad White
    I agree!

You should go on record and offer to correct it, giving a price both ways, now and later. There is time to save the heartache.

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • I printed-off,

everyones comments here(hope nobody minds), and I`m going there tomorrow to try and convince him this system WONT WORK! He`ll likely think I`m a "wise-guy", but at least I will have tried! Outside of that, I can do no more. I`ll keep you guys posted!

Dave
  • Brad White
    You certainly have my permission

By giving him the comments you have done far more than due diligence. My concern is more about getting the customer an appropriate job, second to maintaining the integrity of good radiant practice. Your getting the corrective job, Dave, is the least of my concerns. I think you understand what I mean. I would want you to get it, but appreciating you and your work is not a factor in my opinion.

Nevertheless- good luck!

Brad

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.