Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Won't Heat Up

have you checked the main valve itself. I've seen many where the vavle turns OK but the stem has snapped or the seat has fallen off the end of it and is blocking the steam as if it was turned off. If nothing else has changed in the system, I'd look at that main valve first. Does it get hot when you remove the vent altogether? IF so, it's a vent issue. If not, there is a blockage or the system is shutting down too soon.

Comments

• Noah_2
    Noah_2 Member Posts: 7
    Radiator Won't Heat Up

I have a Gas/steam single pipe system in the northeast.

Last year this radiator worked ok. The pitch is good and I have tried several vent valves without any improvement. The master valve is hot to touch but the heater doesn't get hot at all. The rest of the system is good and relatively balanced.

Had a company come out they said the system could use a Squick cleaning and it should take care of the problem.

Any recommendations are appreciated.
  • Noah_2

Just had the pro, JT Obrien, visit. They were very knowledgeable. The other company had no idea what to do. But this company was right on. Thanks
  • Gerry G
    Gerry G Member Posts: 48

What was the final fix?
  • Noah_2

they lowered the pressure and added a steam cleaning agent. After a couple days it is better, but not 100%. Given that te problem is isolated to to 2 radiators. I most likely will asked them to come out and either clean out the radiator or replace the master valve. Just giving a few more days to let the cleaning agent work its course
This discussion has been closed.