Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

If you can't teach.... LEARN! (ME)

I remember him telling me about them, but never persued it.

Thanks!

ME

Comments

• Opporknockity only tunes once...

You all know the story of Opporknockity, right?

I only had 1 student sign up for my hydronic radiant class. Not enough students = free time on my hands.

So, there's been this class that I've ALWAYS wanted to take on PLC's. That's programmable logic controllers. Opportunity knocked... and I answered.

How many of you guys (and gals) use PLC controllers on your HVAC jobs?

These things are COOl. Lots of 1's,0's, I's and O's.

Your imagination is the only limitation...

Kinda nice being on the other side of the podium again;-)

ME
  • Brad White_168
    Brad White_168 Member Posts: 10
    fun with PLC's

A friend turned me on to AutomationDirect.com which has a nice simple line of PLC's, programming software and accessories (a mere fraction of their line, too- Check out their micro-drives).

Starting with the need for an electronic timeclock.... thus began a need for another 12-Step, ah, program...

Practically the most fun you can have with your pants on.
  • michael siena
    michael siena Member Posts: 53

i use them all the time at work. Questions comments remarks?
  • Other than the obvious optimum start/stop...

What else do you use them for in the HVAC field. Resets? VSD? DC analog I/O?

Can you alarm with them?

Internet access for monitoring?

Thanks!

ME
  • Like a kid in a candy shop...

Thanks Brad!

ME
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Mark,

Now that I am in municipal engineering work, I'm getting a crash course in all kinds of electronics. I had no idea what I didn't know. Still dont. :-) Current project is a swimming pool for a small town, and soon a wastewater treatment plant for a larger town. I am always looking for references, so if you get any good leads, please let me know. Hope the course is fun and informative.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Hook up with Clay Thorton

over in Salt Lake. He and Siggy did an RPA seminar on this topic years ago. Clay has a good electronics background coupled with his award winning hydronic projects.

I'll bet you could get an earful of learning from him.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    simplifing controls

one thing you can get rid of pump controls.
    run pumps directly from PLC or relay if load calls for it.

can program pumps, mixing little zones with large ones, reduce short cycling.

program 'when' buffer tank is needed.

program DWH calls, morning preheat. before space heating, no conflcit problems.

you could program extra 'safeties' or program redundant safeties.

edit: program DHW at lower supply temps during off periods where longer recovery has no effect.
    problem is this all starts costing!!!!
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Climbing up the ladder

PLC and ladder logic certainly makes for copperless control panels. Fast and easy (assuming we're not just satisfied with a simple on and off). Add in solid state relay and you can really kick electromechanical gadgetry.

If I may suggest a follow up course, PID control is even more fascinating. Calculus based proportional, integral, derivative control is the ultimate as far as flattening out anticipated bumps in temperature control. Knowing what to do with tuning and autotuning features pays off. Plus, it is very common nowadays and often a built in feature of boxed PLC control packages.

And of course, for the live and don't learn crowd, a simple class on windows control is all it takes to be cool.

Who says learning is no fun. Go for all the extra credit.
This discussion has been closed.