Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pedestal sink

frank_25
frank_25 Member Posts: 202
.....and I mean YEARS ago, those old pedistal basins were made from good ole cast iron and were truly free-standing. There were a couple of nuts and bolts holding the two pieces together, but sometimes there was a bit of a wobble inbetween the both of 'em and sometimes the floor. Thats where the plaster came into play. It filled in the gaps and made the whole assembly more sturdy. Todays pedistals are made from china, the basin needs to be bolted into the wall, and the use of silicone between the top and bottom, and between the sink and the wall is strongly recommended.

Comments

• little jimmy
    little jimmy Member Posts: 1
    pedestal sink

I KNOW THIS IS NOT a heating question, but where will I find more plumber types than here.

I have taken apart a number of (old) pedestal sinks and I find that between the pedestal and the bowl is a lot of "plaster". What can I use today and how much do I use and how is it done?
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Ditto

I have a 1923 American-Standard pedestal lav in one of my baths, and used silicone between the bowl / stand. These things are heavy! But the fit is a lot better than most new ones tho.
  • most useless plumbing fixture

Pedestal sink in my opinion are like the ties on men... Look good but useless.... Pita installing esp the newer one made in china. No storage spaces yet they want these in the powder room where there no storage spaces.... Have to take it off the wall to rod drain pipe in older homes...
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    pedestal sinks

Most pedestals make it virtually impossible to make repairs if needed without removing the pedestal. I use a good quality latex tub and tile sealer. Silicone is extremely difficult to remove.
This discussion has been closed.