Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Very Noisy Radiator problem

Can you get your hands on one of those portable ER X-ray machine?

I suspect that you'll be able to see through the wall and what will show up is the naked riser. Perhaps what we might see is a riser support (this could be likely according to your floor level) Also, with this riser support there might be a reduction coupling and a bunch of spiraled connections to give flexibility and thermal linear expansion.

Depending on how hot it is and how much the building is moving one way or the other, there might be a problem in the flexible coupling that now causes puddles and steam blockage. It's not a case of gurgling bowels but a case for a congested bronchus. Your unfortunate apartment is where the mucous and the air get in the way of each other.

The rattling sound comes from steam bubbles collapsing in a shallow condensate puddle, meanwhile, as the puddle gets deeper the sound gets louder. Then a cough gets rid of the condensate and the system wheezes freely for a short instant as steam balances itself out along the riser. Lastly, for the time the passage is free you get no noise, but the mucous soon starts piling up again. It's like a cold.

Of course this is just one diagnostic, it could be anything. Since your radiators are healthy, I can't see why this should be a problem of yours. A loose riser support might be an easy fix, a tiny piece of rubber just at the right place might be enough, but anything more sounds expensive and a bit beyond a tenant's authority. Sadly I have no pill for your cure.

Good luck.

Comments

• Leigh_2
    Leigh_2 Member Posts: 5
    Very noisy radiator problem

Hi, I live in an apartment in NYC that has steam radiator heating. It is making this awful noise that the super and landlord are pretty much refusing to address. I am considering hiring a plumber myself but would like to know if it is probably something that will cost a lot of money. I will describe the sound, any information or insight will be greatly appreciate, including a good plumber. The sound is a rattling sound that occurs regardless of whether the radiators in my apartment are on or off. Both radiators are tilted are lifted on one end for proper drainage. The sound seems to be coming from within the wall. The sound starts low and then gets louder and louder until it makes a slight hissing sound and then it stops altogether for a few minutes and then starts again. This goes on and on. Sometimes during the day it doesn't do it others time it goes on for days. I have used my stethoscope to narrow down where it seems to stem from. It is not your typical banging radiator sound, it is a more constant rattling sound. That is really making me quite crazy. It was also suggested to me that I could try drilling a hole in the wall where the sound is and putting some of that foam expanding stuff in it to try and insulate the sound a bit - any thoughts on this idea? Please help, it is starting to drive me thoroughly crazy and if you know NYC simply moving to another apartment and demanding my deposit back is not an easy option. Thank you so very much
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Hi Leigh, Unlikely....

that the spray in foam will help. If it is within a steam pipe the temperatures will melt it. If the noise is from deep within the metal, well, it is a resonator and may travel far beyond your ability to apply meltable foam.

Is this a systemic problem, Leigh? Or local to one radiator? Do other tenants have similar issues above, below or astride you?

My first suspicions if systemic are too much pressure (the Empire State Building runs on only 2 lbs., 3 in colder weather). Your building may be running 5 lbs. or more when it could run on ounces, not pounds of pressure.

To correct this, if an issue will save your landlord money (not that YOU will see the savings!) but may help resolve things in other ways.

What floor are you on? Might it be that you are low in a tall building and may have occassionally flooded piping?

The "rattling": Might that also be described as a gurgling? In other words liquid meeting gas? It could also be a loose valve washer tipping in the valve body or orifice. Stranger things have happened.

Stethoscope- may I presume a medical background or just good luck to have that wonderfully simple tool and the thought to use it? :) (Former EMT here so just taking notes...) Good call. If you can isolate the noise to one spot, see if it occurs on other floors, if it is indeed behind/within the wall or if within a valve body.

There are many excellent steam practitioners here, Al Correlli, John NY, Frankie Wrench and others not to exclude them.

I am in Boston so cannot help directly. All I can do is sit here and wish I were Japanese and could play baseball.
  • Leigh_2
    very noisy radiator

Hi Brad, Thanks so much for replying. Yes I am a nurse, hence the stethoscope. So to clarify no one else in the building seems to have the problem. I am on the 2nd floor of 5 floors. The sound is definitely a gurgling sound - like a very loud drain almost, that gets louder and louder and then hisses and stops for a few minutes. It definitely seems to be coming from 1 spot in the wall which is between the radiators in my bedroom and living room. The radiators themselves don't make any noise. Could it be poor drainage or something from the apartment above? Thanks so much.
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Localized

Just as in medicine it is all about fluids, flow and pressure :)

Typically in one pipe steam water (condensed steam) flows down the wall of the pipe -on the inside unless God is a cat- while the steam makes it's way up the center. When they meet (too much downward flow against too much upward flow at any given time) you will get noise.

The "hissing" is interesting. Wondering if a vent might be in the wall? If pressure is too high or vent is too small you will hear hissing. Properly applied, vents are virtually silent.

Too soon to say it is a design problem and it may have been going on since the Truman Administration. How long have you lived there and has this happened before? Any recent modifications? Hard to pin down at a distance.

If it is your first season, who can now say regarding the history? (NY Apartments are obtained from former dead tenants I understand and Ouija boards give bad heating advice anyway.)
  • Leigh_2
    more noisy radiator

Thanks for your time on this issue. Yes it is my first winter here so as you say it could have been going on since trumen - yikes, perhaps this is why the landlord is ignoring me. So do you think the foam is worth a shot at all. Could it cause harm? I'm desperate to sleep and to not go throughout my day with a rattle in my head. ahhhh. If this fails I guess I just start praying for global warming to do its job soon ;) Thanks again for your time.
This discussion has been closed.