Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Neater deveopling burned gas like funes when running.

Steve Ebels_3
Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
These guys are just concerned about your safety and the others in the house. Offering an educated guess as to what problems you may have is just that..........an educated guess. There are so many things that can cause the symptom you are describing that it's nearly impossible to troubleshoot. Without being there with the proper instrumentation to test the furnace, it can't be done.

Yes you can check for a plugged flue, bad vent pipe, chimney problems, even shine a light into the combustion chambers but unless you have a combustion analyzer it's all just a shot in the dark.

Don't take offense at the suggestion to call in a professional, we just don't want to read about you or anyone else in the papers. Your health and safety is worth more than the price of a service call don't you think?

Comments

• Joe_88
    Joe_88 Member Posts: 3

I have a gas furnace that is developing burned gas like fumes when running. It is staying contained in the heater room and I shut the furnace down so I could try and make sure there are no obstructions or dirt in the burner area and exhaust. Could there be another item for me to look at?

Joe
  • joe_80
    joe_80 Member Posts: 2

CALL SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THERE DOING FIRST OF ALL IT IS A GAS HEATER NOT A NEATER LOL
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Furnace.

Joe,

This sounds like a potentially serious problem! Shut it down and call a heating pro ASAP. Don't take a chance with your life!

Jim

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Joe_88

I know it's a heater smart%^&. It was aalteady shut down and I was just looking for more areas to look. I have worked on boilers and pool heaters just a little unfamiliar with residential furnaces. I belive the basic priciples are still the same. I am continuing my search and cleaning at the same time.

Joe
  • JaredM
    JaredM Member Posts: 57
    Please

Joe,

Call a proffesional. Your furnace or boiler could be creating a lethal situation in your home. You owe it to your family and yourself to call someone that has the tools and expertise to deal with it.

-Jared

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,554

http://www.wmur.com/news/10779050/detail.html

"
    Raymond said that the source of the carbon monoxide was traced to an oil-fired hot-water boiler in the basement. He said it apparently had not been professional serviced since 1999 and that the grandfather had been doing the maintenance work himself."

Enough Said?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • STEVE PAUL_3
    STEVE PAUL_3 Member Posts: 126
    WHEN TO CALL FOR HELP

JOE,
    DON'T TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY. THE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE ARE ONLY INTERESTED IN SAFETY. THE FACT THAT YOU HAD TO ASK THE QUESTION MEANS YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH DOING THIS YOURSELF. GO TO A PRO.
    YES I AM SHOUTING!
  • Joe_88

Just because I ask a question does not mean that I am uncomfortable with what I am doing. So don't read what you want to believe into it. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask and I have enough experience to know when to ask a question and when to give it to someone else. I also know when to turn off the furnace which is the first thing you do when there is a problem. I do not believe I will get any help here for everyone has only one answer which is shut the furnace off, make fun of my typing and call someone which where I live is not easy to get someone. GOOD BYE
    I'm sure people will start posting how stupid I am and how self-rightous they are, but that is to be expected.
    Joe
  • Joe, do you have a

combustion analyzer? If so I assume you know how to do a combustion test on your equipment. If not then I suggest you get hold of someone who has a tester and is capable of servicing and adjusting a gas furnace.
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Odors

The odors are probably the aldehydes in the flue gasses. It is an indication of CO. The condition can be caused by one or any combination of the following: Furnace too large or chimney too small. Cracked or fouled heat exchanger, poor draft, poor combustion, poor quality fuel, over or under fired, dirty filters, dirty burners, dirty combustion areas, dirty flue passages, dirty or damaged chimney, exhaust pipe or intake pipe, extraneous air in the vent connector or chimney, dirty manifold or orafices, orafices the wrong size, fouled combustion fans, lack of combustion air, an exhaust fan that is preventing the unit from venting properly, anything that can cause flue gas recirculation, direct vent exhaust pipe or chimney termination wrong, fuel pressures incorrect, burners damaged, impingement, venter or forced draft fans not running fast enough or not at all, fouled or broken fan blades or air inlet, turbulators broken, missing or fouled, chemicals or petroleum products stored nearby that are outgassing through the furnace or other air quality problems in the area of the furnace, insufficient return air, if condensing furnace- the condensate not draining properly, if a pulse, defective air or gas diaphragms, defective gas valves, burner mis-alignment, bad gaskets, etc., etc. and more. Be sure you have a quality carbon monoxide detector and use it. You should have an accurate combustion analyzer and use that also. If you check out everything and still have a problem, it's time to call out the cavalry. Not knowing your experience level, we would be remiss in not warning you of the dangers of the condition. Don't take it the wrong way. Carbon monoxide is dangerous, as you probably know.
This discussion has been closed.