Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No Steam Pros In Vermont? Advice Sought.

Possible Ken, I rep Peerless.

Comments

• K Penniman
    K Penniman Member Posts: 53

I just moved into a 1900 Victorian flat-top in Montpelier with a one-pipe system heating about 2400 sq. feet between two floors. Works fine, but cost the previous owner $4000 in fuel oil last heating season!

So I read "We Got Steam Heat" and am getting to work on improving the system! Here's what needs improving, what I intend to do, and my questions:

- No pipe insulation anywhere, and the basement is very drafty (field stone foundation exposed on the North side). So I plan on ordering Johns Manville Micro-Lok fiber glass pipe insulation, 2" thick, and Zeston 2000 PVC fitting covers for the 90s and 45s. Sound appropriate? The external diameter of the mains looks to be 2-1/2", does that mean they are 2" pipes when sizing pipe insulation? Are the 2" pipes really 1-1/2"? Insulating the returns will add a fair amount to the cost. Worth it?

- My system has two main 2" lines (2 1/2" exterior diameter), only one line has a main vent. I want a pro to come in and install the appropriate main vents. Each main is roughly 21' long. Can anyone give me a referral? There are no pros listed here in VT on the Find a Pro page.

- The East line heats six radiators and has a vent. The West line heats four radiators, has no main vent, and has three dead pipes. One pipe goes nowhere and is capped. Another pipe goes to a closed radiator valve, but there's no longer a radiator there. The third pipe (the knucklehead pipe), appears to have replaced the main vent, is copper, and travels to another non-existent radiator. I would like a pro to clean this up, install vents, remove the copper piping, and repipe a run to a new future radiator location.

- Some of the radiator vents whistle and are in need of repair. I bought a box of Heat-Timer Varivalves. Should be here next week.

- One or two radiator valves appear to need repacking. I think I can handle.

The heat is nice within the house, and that's saying something because it is -5 right now before wind chill! All the radiators heat well, some faster than others, but the upstairs is too warm for my taste. My goal here is to cut down on fuel costs and create a more efficient system. We want to spend years in this house and want the heat done right.

One concern I have is this: If I insulate all those pipes, I'm afraid on the coldest days the temps in the basement could threaten to freeze the cold water lines. Won't know how cold it will get until I do it. I'm also concerned that the upstairs floor will get really cold, which I can't stand. I put staple-up radiant in my log home and it's hard to get used to floors that are not 85 degrees. Any one insulate their pipes and have these problems?

Love this website and thanks in advance!
  • K Penniman
    K Penniman Member Posts: 53
    Any advice on insulating one-pipe steam?

I need to order tomorrow for delivery Monday. Has anyone used Johns Manville Micro-lok before?
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    If it is....

the fiberglass insualation I am sure it's fine...I grew up in Rutland and still have family there. Ask your local oil dealers what they have for steam experiance...you know the questions to ask. kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Dick Charland
    Dick Charland Member Posts: 178

E-mail me your telephone #, I'm in VT not far from Montpelier.
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320

I'm still fooling around with my new "Find a Pro" listing.

I'm a steam guy and live in VT. About an hour north of you. (Enosburg)

Did we already speak/write?
This discussion has been closed.