Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

vacuum pump

m slocum
m slocum Member Posts: 10
We are in NE PA.
The system was a Parkton.I have another system in the same town with the pump still intact.The system has traps at all the radiators and a Parkton super vac on the return.This has a float inside and sight glass.It is installed on a drop into the return.The Parkton trap has 2 tapings on top,1 went into the return main and we think the other goes to the vacuum pump.The system has been some what working.We found the pressue set at 7# and lowered it to 1/2 # and removed the return trap and installed an end of main and it is working but we are getting water out of the vent.

Comments

• m slocum

I am in need of a vacuum pump for a residential steam system.My locale suppliers can not locate one.I believe that when the boiler was changed out the pump was removed.The disconnect is still there.
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Skidmore

Or Shippensburg (Shipco) still make them. Residential vacuum??

Careful there! You might get a NuTone by mistake. :)
  • m slocum

I spoke with a rep foe shipco and they do not have anything that small.I have seen small pumps either in a funeral home or a dentist office .I don't think they would work.
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Pump

We have used Skidmore and Shipco. A pump shop should be able to help you. Where are you located?
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    This does not suck

Vacuum pumps must be my favorite accessory for just the perfect customization of a wonder boiler.

Can you give a bit more detail on how residential your system is? Was this a Dunham system originally? Do you have lift stations that call for a set in stone vacuum value? And, how big is the boiler? Do you already have a condensate pump in there? And, is there anything going wrong right now?

There is a bunch of pumping options, meanwhile I’m consumed with curiosity. Usually it is impossible to convince an operator to actually use their installed vacuum pump. Maybe I can help. My town was filled with buildings by an industrial construction firm that simply loved their vacuumizers. By the looks of these buildings, this company did things right, they also operated in Cincinnati.

• Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Pump

If you can, call Allyan Pump Co. in Folcroft, Pa. (Delaware County) I believe they have other locations. They are the experts. They rebuild and sell new. Blankin Supply in Philadelphia is worth a try too. Let me know how you make out.
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Sucked in by the mystery Parkton

You know, pictures of your Parkton would be such a treat. I find nothing relating to that brand.

It seems from your short description that you have a two pipe system with the subatmoshperic return piped near the ceiling. Usually vacuumed systems also come with pumped condensate - but this does not seem to be the case with you (which is totally conceivable).

This all hinges on whether the Trane like thing you described is in fact a pumpless pump or the standard air eliminator. I'm guessing air eliminator and I would connect it's outlet to vacuum pump.

That said, the system should operate fine without suction. For that the hole where the pump would go has to remain wide open - without steam stopping traps. In such case, it is also better not to have air vents on the steam main that open to the atmosphere all on their own. Crossover traps is what you need - if any.

You say water is squirting out.

Without a condensate pumping arrangement, your boiler pressure is limited by the altitude above the water line at which the atmospheric return air hole is located. 2 ft call for 1 PSI max. 7 PSI would be way too much.

What kind of traps are there on the radiators? Is the piping unusually small in diameter?

• m slocum

These systems were made in Clarks Summit and I believe that they made boilers also.The return piping is 1".
    The traps at the radiators are Sarco.We are going to put the Parkton supervac return trap on today with an end of main vent in place of the pump.The condensate was dribbling out not really squirting.I will try and post pictures today.
This discussion has been closed.