Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacement cost for six section steam boiler . .

Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,365
A REAL STEAM PRO. Did you call anyone from FAP? Mad Dog

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=210&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Daniel_3
    Daniel_3 Member Posts: 543
    Replacement steam boiler, six sections, gas fired . .

I got a quote recently to replace an old Delco GM oil fired converted to gas fired boiler of around $5k - $6k. This involves removal of the old with asbestos and install of the new. I have approximately 146k btu's after doing the converions for the EDR of my home. It's a 2,500 sqft. three story residential property. This quote will be for a Burnham Independance. Right now I'm well aware that the current boiler has possibly 40% AFUE at best especially with no auto flue closure (Looks like I'm burning wood in an open fireplace when you peak outside at the chimney on a colder day). I've been pretty impressed after reading "The Lost Art.." after I balanced the rads as well as replaced all the 20 vents with heat-timer vari-vents taking time over weeks to vent each rad to get them all hot at the same time. Well, enough of the blurb. Does that seem like a good price even after cutting out a middle man for this job?
    -Daniel
  • you won't get

You won't get any help with the pricings here on this site.... Most important thing is make sure that u got a real BOILER pro going to do this replacment, figures extra for cleaning and skimming of boiler after installation as well any vent(s) replacment, repipings...
  • Jamie_6
    Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710

Daniel,

Pricing isn't discussed on this web-sight!

But I will let you know that I re-pipe existing boilers for that price! It sounds as if they are missing some key factors in a steam boiler install.

Are they using a steal header, is it a dropped header, are there one or two low water cut-offs, are they providing the proper skim tapping, an automatic feeder, ball-valve on the Hartford loop, a vaporstat, ect. ect. ect.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    yup,

prices vary and arn't brought up here but it does seem low..somethings missing..what does the following statement mean? who is the middle man? '' Does that seem like a good price even after cutting out a middle man for this job? -Daniel ''

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Daniel_3

Figures my first post would be a goof-up . .Didn't mean to ask for price, it really isn't my major concern. This installer came highly recommended and that by some servicers that came to do pm's on my system from a major gas/electric supplier in my county. The middle man is the gas/electric supplier. the service guys may have liked me enough to give me the info. Basically this installer does mainly steam system installs; 3-5 a day on the busier days. Whether there needs to be re-piping, I doubt it. Believe it or not the piping that went in during the days of 1923 by the old timers really is in top notch shape. The header I don't know much about, I'll post pics. There's one low water cut-off. The Hartford loop does not seem to have a ball valve unless hidden in the shell of the boiler. You'd have to see pics but I'm happy with it. There may be one small clank in the entire start to finish. It takes approximately 30-40 mins. for each rad to become fully heated. No water-hammer whatsoever(good grade on all the piping), no hissing vents(no vacuum or excess air), no spewing vents( floats work on these new vents). I have the pressuretrol at about 1.5 pso's. Diff= 1, Cut-in = .5 hence the cut-out is 1.5. It was 6 when I finally checked it after owning the home for 2 years. After reading up on Dan's book I said "Why not try setting the pressuretrol waydown?" It certainly seems to heat the rads a bit faster since the higher pressure may have been hindering the steam's movement. All the rads are hot evenly through. It's a onepipe system. The header/mains and even returns are insulated. What's funny is the Hartford loop has big vents on both return pipes about 20" up on both sides right before elbowing south behind the boiler. I'll post pics. But thanks for all the input. This forum is highly informative and since I want to be an informed consumer, what better place . . .
  • Daniel_3

I would hope the skim tapping would be performed since this old beaut' I have right now has it done, making it easy for me to skim twice a heating season to rid the crud. I'm not sure what a vaporstat is. Right now I have a pressuretrol on the GM Delco. I may be wrong when I talked about the psi's. It may be pressure per ounces not inches.
  • Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395
    Steam installs

If this guy can completely install 3-5 boilers a day, I'll hire him tomorrow at three times his rate.

Even Ron Jr. can't do that.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Daniel_3

I assume he has a couple guys working for or with him at this same time. That number certainly could have been quite exagerated even when I didn't know what I know now. It's tough not knowing so much because it's easy let your wallet empty and still have major problems with a new system. I want to know so I can make the right decision.
  • Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395
    Check out some of his work.

You've seen some good stuff here. Compare what he's done to that. Better yet, take pictures and post them.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jamie_6
    Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710

Attached are some pictures of a steam job we just completed this winter! It took two mechanics and one helper 3 eight hour days to do this job. Almost one day just getting the old boiler out and the new one installed!

• Daniel_3
    Take a look at my post up a couple threads

It's starts with "Gm Delco boiler . . " See the pics and tell me what you think. I don't a have skim tap(why do you need it?)
    So it seems controls such as the LWCO, vaporstat, and skim tap don't come with a new boiler package but have to be purchased seperately?
  • I can do 3 to 5 a day .......

but that's only one day per month .

Make that per year .

What area do you live in that one company installs up to 5 steam boilers a day , Daniel ? Even 5 a week sounds on the high side .

Like Al said , see if the contractor has any pics of past work and compare it with steam job pics you see here . Some of the finest steamer installers regulary showcase their work here . Al Corelli is one of the best . Also check Steamhead , Mad Dog , Jamie , Gerry Gill , many others . Use the Search button towards the top of the website . You can even check my name , although we've had a steamer semi - drought this season .

Some things that separate the best from the rest -

Having the contractor size the boiler correctly .

Increasing the boiler header size from manufacturer's recommendations , and " dropping the header " . And using all steel or iron on the header .

Increasing the equalizer size .

Adding a skim tapping and a purge for the returns .

Using 2 low water cutoffs .
  • Mad Dog_2
    I'll hire him AWAY from you AL......

If.....................he can do TWO!!!! in one day. Mad Dog

• Mad Dog_2
    Me thinks....you have been snowed..............................

and are about to get hosed, Daniel. Did this guy tell you this in a bar?. I think you need to do alot more homework before you hire someone. The FAP section here is a good start. Mad Dog

• you and Al

> If.....................he can do TWO!!!! in one

> day. Mad Dog

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 210&Step=30"_To Learn More About This

> Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in

> "Find A Professional"_/A_

I'd be dead on my 3rd day , Matt .
  • Working for you and Al

I'd be dead on my 3rd day , Matt . How you been buddy ?
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079

• Daniel_3

I may have been taken advantage of cosidering my ignorance about steam boilers and relative systems but I am just like anyone else. I work in the medical field and you wouldn't believe how much people have no clue about their own health. It's really the same situation except in my carrer it's more acute. This is why I searched out this website for answers. I appreciate you concern for this next move. I hope to find the right professional for the job. I'm not looking for something fancy, just something that works efficiently and is long lasting.
This discussion has been closed.