Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

'Superdope\"

Ken D.
Ken D. Member Posts: 836
I've worked for a few of them.

Comments

• Ray Landry_3
    Ray Landry_3 Member Posts: 94

Anyone ever use super dope before? I believe it's an anerobic (sp) pipe dope that supposedly is impossible to get leaks with. I've got a big sprinkler fitting job coming up and may give up the tape/ rectorseal for this to save time.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • MikeB34
    MikeB34 Member Posts: 155
    yes i have

Used it all the time as a sprinkler fitter apprentice. Claims to harder to pipe burst strength. Can say if it does, but i know if I tightened it with a couple 14"ers, it too 24's or better if they sat a day.

Never had a leak, but I aways used a wrap of tape on the heads to give break if you need to remove them. Keep some for those nasty problem joints/fittings from China that that never stay sealed..it works
  • Douglas Hicks
    Douglas Hicks Member Posts: 69

What is the mame of this "super Dope"? We use PermaBond, and have good results.

fireguy
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    Argco \"Super-Dope\"

"Super-Dope" anaerobic thread sealent by Argco.
    http://www.argco.com/
  • Super Dope

It's good stuff; we use it whenever pipe ends are buggered up. I once installed a Flushometer stop hand tight on a 110 psi water line with no leaks. We also use them on non-tapered Eurpoean threads.
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
    Couple of heads,...

The trouble with large jobs is the men start to get a little militant about many of the higher performance thread sealants out there, something about the mess they get on their hands and the fact that it doesn’t readily wash off. Then there is the argument regarding is it a thread sealant/leak stopper versus tapered joints only need a thread lubricant to properly seal. The white Teflon stuff is the industry standard, arguably, only because it is easiest to wash off. In critical jobs, like clean rooms or operating rooms we generally demand permatex number 9. You know, the stuff you use on your car and it doesn’t wash off, ever…anyone caught not applying in the prescribed manner gets sent back to the hall. Ever try to tell a fifty year old sprinkler journeyman how to apply pipe sealant? Not a fun time for anyone. However this stops the practice of the little salt bags...
This discussion has been closed.