Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam boiler repair vs replacement vs hot water

Long Beach Ed
Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,235
...to me.

What kind of repair does the boiler need and why? A steam boiler should behave for at least 30 years, usually more like 50.

Unless it was an inferior thing when installed or was installed improperly or improperlky sized, you will not see much improvement with a new boiler.

I wouldn't change the boiler unless there are big problems, and the benefits from switching to hot water will take a decade or more to pay of themselves.

Figure out what caused your problems before you put mote money into repairs.

Long Beach Ed

Comments

• John P
    John P Member Posts: 16
    Steam boiler repair vs replacement vs hot water

I have a Peerless Series 62 greater than 20 yrs old feeding a two pipe steam system. Twenty radiators, around 4,500 sq ft, Tom Hanks old house money pit.
    Faced with boiler repair vs replacement, I would think replacement based on age. If I replace any suggestions for the boiler? How crazy is the thought of changing to hot water? I know the higher pressure would mean new pipes. Is there ever a cost recovery based on greater effiiciencies with the water vs steam?
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    change boiler?

Based on the age of the unit alone, think about a new boiler. AS to the system, a properly installed and balanced steam system is well worth keeping. The cost involved to switch to FHW would take years to recoup your investment. Personnally, I think Weil Mclain makes the best steam boilers out there. That's all I ever use for steam, with great success.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    That is a good question..

to me 20 years old is like 20 years young on a steam system. you have had to live With It and have some idea as to what is what by now, a boiler replacement is not unheard of in tweny years,there are new steam boilers that could garner a bit more efficentcy....the construction practices have tidied thier act up somewhat across the board over the past 20 years, one of the best expenditures is investing a dollar on more insulation in the roof/ceiling...two things to consider one is the R value in the Lid and the other might be the comfort level in your home. if you are not comfortable then think about having someone stop in and point out where and when the problem areas are..that way some small correction to the system might be changed when you twist in a new steam boiler.

unless it is a total abortion i would not yank out an existing steam system. *~/:)
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Your 2-pipe system is probably Vapor

which was the Cadillac of heating in its day, and is still one of the best out there. Vapor steam systems generally run on no more than 8 ounces pressure at the boiler, which makes them very quick and efficient. These systems were designed to run with coal-fired boilers, so sometimes the air venting must be upgraded to work well with oil or gas.

There were a whole bunch of Vapor manufacturers- have you found any names on the hardware that might help us ID your system? Post some pics here if you can.

I'm not familiar with the Peerless 62 series, it doesn't appear on their site. If it's an atmospheric gas boiler and you want to replace it, look for a wet-base oil boiler that is also sold with a power gas burner. Not only will this setup run a bit more efficiently, but it will let you switch to oil without buying a new boiler if your local unregulated gas monopoly jacks rates way up to fund their CEO's golden parachute.

I wouldn't try to convert it to hot water. Not only will the increased pressure find any weak points in the system, but the water-filled pipes and radiators can freeze in an extended power or fuel failure. I've seen the results of this and they're not pretty, except to liability lawyers. My company does not recommend or perform this type of conversion, and will not work on a system that someone else converted.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John P

Thanks for all the suggestions....The reason I think I may need repair or a new boiler is that Saturday (why always on the weekend) I developed midcycle waterhammer with obvious steam going to the rads but no pressure building on my gauge. Prior to this the gauge would read just short of 2 psi before cutting out. Pressurtrol set around .5-1 psi. I was just starting to shop for a Vaporstat to get better control when this problem occured. I went to Dans books and it sounds like a possible hole in the boiler...???...I'm checking the chimney for white smoke, kinda hard to tell with clouds the same color, there appears to be some but nothing pouring out. The Peerless 62 series is on the website but under old stuff. I have the 62-12. Gas input 440mbh/gross output352mbh. Net steam square feet of 1100. Steam mbh of 264. Five years ago I ordered the books to learn the system after going through at least 5 locals who "understood steam" but failed to address the problems such as one radiator with a petcock airvalve instead of trap, etc,etc. I finally found a commercial firm that talks the same language as this site but I stiill like second opinions. Thanks again for the input.
  • John P

Thanks for all the suggestions....The reason I think I may need repair or a new boiler is that Saturday (why always on the weekend) I developed midcycle waterhammer with obvious steam going to the rads but no pressure building on my gauge. Prior to this the gauge would read just short of 2 psi before cutting out. Pressurtrol set around .5-1 psi. I was just starting to shop for a Vaporstat to get better control when this problem occured. I went to Dans books and it sounds like a possible hole in the boiler...???...I'm checking the chimney for white smoke, kinda hard to tell with clouds the same color, there appears to be some but nothing pouring out. The Peerless 62 series is on the website but under old stuff. I have the 62-12. Gas input 440mbh/gross output352mbh. Net steam square feet of 1100. Steam mbh of 264. Five years ago I ordered the books to learn the system after going through at least 5 locals who "understood steam" but failed to address the problems such as one radiator with a petcock airvalve instead of trap, etc,etc. I finally found a commercial firm that talks the same language as this site but I stiill like second opinions. Thanks again for the input.
  • Steverino
    Steverino Member Posts: 140
    Peerless #62

http://www.peerlessboilers.com/home/productcenter/index.cfm?fuseAction=details&psID=14

From their website...lotsa' helpful .pdf files to check out.
    Hope this is helpful.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Wet Steam?

maybe enough dirt worked its way back to the boiler to cause this. Try flushing and skimming it.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,235
    Leak?

You can check for a leak by filling the boiler up past the top of the sight glass. Leaks usually occur at the water line and filling the boiler past that would cause water to spill into the firebox.

But you don't have a leak.

Long Beach Ed
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,788

we make a good living ripping out old stuff and installing new systems. Many people want modern high efficiency. We do steam stuff too, so this is no one-sided answer.

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
This discussion has been closed.