Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

blocked vent switch

The blocked vent switches on Series 2 boilers of recent manufacture are not a one time fusible link. They are equipped with a rest button in between the two wire connections.

If the reason you are replacing these is because the burner will not operate then the switch is just doing its job. You either have some sort of blockage in the flue or chimney or an adverse or negative draft condition existing which needs to be addressed. That could be anything from a birds nest in the flue to high wind condition downdrafts or other devices pulling negative draft in the room.

I have attached a couple of pictures explaining what I just said. (Bird in Damper and Bird's Nest pictures courtesy of Matt "Mad Dog" Sweeney)

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.

Comments

• vinny_2
    vinny_2 Member Posts: 3

I WAS WONDERING IF SOMEONE COULD GIVE ME SOME ADVICE I HAVE A BUNHAM SERIES 2 BOILER HOT WATER,IN ITS 2 SEASON I HAVE REPLACED 2 BLOCKED VENT SWITCHES THIS SEASON ANY REASON WHY THEY WOULD GO BAD ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT THANKS IN ADVAVANCE VINNY
  • Vinny

I think this is like a "spill switch" and if the products of combustion can`t get-up the chimney, it shuts everything down. Are you sure the chimney is OK?, are there any reducers between that and the boiler? I would have a "chimney guy" come and check-it out.

Dave
  • Neet pics Glenn.

kinda like the bee hive I found in the TJ, or Bruce`s mouse nest, you never know until you look!

Dave
  • vinny_2
    vinny_2 Member Posts: 3

I WAS WONDERING IF SOMEONE COULD GIVE ME SOME ADVICE I HAVE A BUNHAM SERIES 2 BOILER HOT WATER,IN ITS 2 SEASON I HAVE REPLACED 2 BLOCKED VENT SWITCHES THIS SEASON ANY REASON WHY THEY WOULD GO BAD ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT THANKS IN ADVAVANCE VINNY
  • Dave

Your'e right in that you never know what you may find. I remember being out with a contractor about 30 years ago on a job with a real old school oil furnace with a big old 1725 rpm burner on it that started up with a bang. Flipped up the ignition transformer and found the blower wheel totally disinigrated and full of fur and bones. Sort of brings a new meaning to the term "squirrel cage"! That little rascal must have ran for all he was worth before he lost!

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
This discussion has been closed.