Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Broomell Pictures

These are pictures of an old Broomell system. Unfortunately (for the homeowner) I will not be doing anything to this system but I thought the pictures would be of interest. Shown are the receiver/regulator, condensing radiator, the abandoned chimney connection used to vent the rad, quintuple valve, P trap and coal chute. The boiler was recently changed and as you can surmise the system does not use a vaporstat. Looking at the long abandoned pulleys/linkage used to regulate draft it makes you feel like you have gone back in time. Funny thing is I used to care for this system 20 or so years ago but with new the homeowners I'm here for a different reason.

Robert O'Connor/NJ

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,582
    I'd like to add these

to the Library if it's okay with you. If you look in there now you'll see all the Broomell patents, which Gerry Gill generously donated this week.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Dan

OK with with me. I'll even throw in some pictures of another old system.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Al Corelli
    Al Corelli Member Posts: 454

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Wow!

The Broomell patents AND pics- doesn't get any better than that.

You can trace the evolution of the Broomell Vapor system from its first incarnation in 1900 (no water seals at that point), to 1909 or so when it took its final form. Note that the water-seal elbow was invented by John DeWitt Arnold.

The last patent was for an oil burner. Albert Broomell had become a Dead Man by the time the application was filed (1921). In between he came up with several versions of thermostatic radiator control. Think of Mr. Broomell when you install a TRV.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,582
    When generous people share what they know,

everyone gains. Thanks to all of you.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    More pictures

Here are more pictures from the same property. I didn't think they were as worthy as the first set but anyhow, here's more...

The gentleman pictured in one of the pictures is the electrician on the job. He thought I was nuts but was interested in how the system operated.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Nice homes have nice heat

Thanks for sharing the pictures. If the electrician were laughing at the header inserted between the grand old pipes and the new WM, I'd understand - what a headache.

:)

Tanks again, Robert for taking your camera along on this trip.

• john_27
    john_27 Member Posts: 195

Robert...I would be interested in the parts from this sytem, as well as a few radiatiors, if the owner would like to sell them...john
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    John

I doubt it, but I'll ask. This is a working system and with a mechanic familiar with Broomell working on it could very well be brought back. It does still work, just not real well.

I'll be back there in about a mounth or so. If you are serious, contact me off line.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    less than 27 years ago...

a guy gave me an entire system*~/:) coal worm the works:)

i am not a betting man buh i bet that it hasnt moved an inch:) maybe i get some way into the buildings new owners coffee pot and get back with you :)
  • john_27

Robert....how does one get your private email...mine is arbt@bloomberg.net...John
  • john_27

robert....i'm interested...please reply to arbt@bloomberg.net
    if you think something can happen...John
This discussion has been closed.