Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant over existing 4 inch slab

Chris_82
Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
Do you have a basment, or a space that you can crawl into? pictures? Are you talking staple up or building up the floor?

Comments

• John P
    John P Member Posts: 16

Want to go radiant infloor on kitchen remodel. New kitchen area will include 12x18 area that has 4 inch concrete slab over crawl space. Any thoughts on how to best proceed?
  • Brad White_167
    Brad White_167 Member Posts: 12
    Can you unsulate under the slab?

Even better, can you tube-up under the slab and insulate beneath that in a tight manner? Thinking is to capture the mass and use it as your emitter. The edges may be the biggest issue though.

Otherwise, can you insulate below the slab? Thinking in this case to use a lay-on system like Climate Panel and use the slab as an anvil which eventually will be heated. At least with a slab-top system you might be able to insulate the edges where the panels will go. I assume you do not have the height to pour another slab on top. That is yet another scenario.
  • Paul_11
    Paul_11 Member Posts: 210
    a few options

The best way is to put a new slab floor down on top of the old slab. I did a 26,000 square foot job a few years ago over a 6" slab. I first put a sheet of some kind of 1/4" or 3/8" bubble wrap with aluminum to isolate the old slab from the new slab. I highly reccomend doing some kind of insulation. You don't want to try and heat both the new and old slabs as you will have a huge mass to try and heat which will slow down response time and make sure you need to insulate under the slab big time. On my job, I was over another heated floor so this was plenty of insulation for me. In your case I might use 1" or 2" of blue styrofoam insulation as you are dealing with a slab on grade, I assume. If you don't have enough head room for this, I might demo the whole old slab out and start new with a 2" to 4" blue foam insulation base to start with.

I used 1.5" of gypcrete, but you could use 2" of cement if you were putting tiles or marble on top.
    Please don't even think about putting the tubing under the slab. I would not even want to think about the inefficieny of heating the air to heat the old 4" concrete slab to heat the room. And imagine how much insulation you would have to put underneath the tubing. I would put a nice steel radiator in first, before I would do that.

Respectfully,

Paul B. Shay
    pshay@arealgoodplumber.com
    LMP 1307
    LMFS 654B
    OUR MISSION: TO PROVIDE WORLD CLASS PLUMBING, HEATING, AND SPRINKLER SERVICE TO EACH AND EVERY CLIENT WE SERVE, FAR EXCEEDING THEIR HIGHEST EXPECTATIONS!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Since 1990, I have made steam systems quiet, comfortable, and efficient. We provide comfort while saving the planet.
    NYC RETROFIT ACCELERATOR QUALIFIED SERVICE PROVIDER

A REAL GOOD PLUMBER, INC
    NYC LMP: 1307
    O:212-505-1837
    M:917-939-0593
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    don't get it either?

you have a 4 inch slab 12x18ft over a crawl space? how is this slab being supported? can you remove it?
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Radiant wall or ceilings

Depending on the layout, you might skip the radiant floor and use a wall (if one is available) or the ceiling to minimize complications. Roth panels might be another option for the floor.

• If you don't have an existing hydronic system to tie this into, and maybe even if you do, for an area that small I would consider just using electric mats.

the trick will be in how to insulate, if the existing slab is not insulated.
  • John P

The house iis a 1863 brick victorian. The area with the slab is the very back of the house. The actual measurements are 15x14 and the slab is 4.5 inhes thick. there is crawl space underneath all except a few feet on one side. on the other 3 sides the slab sits on stone or brick. We are taking out a wall to incorporate this area into the new kitchen. The other area is twice that iize and has easily accessable basement below.
  • John P

The house iis a 1863 brick victorian. The area with the slab is the very back of the house. The actual measurements are 15x14 and the slab is 4.5 inhes thick. there is crawl space underneath all except a few feet on one side. on the other 3 sides the slab sits on stone or brick. We are taking out a wall to incorporate this area into the new kitchen. The other area is twice that iize and has easily accessable basement below.
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    radiant over slab

I would consider Uponor's (Wirsbo) Quik Trak if the floor is level and especially if you are going with a wood or laminate floor covering.Otherwise I would indeed cap it with ligtweight concrete(gypcrete) with inbedded radiant piping.

Insulation from below if accesible would increase efficiency.

Good Luck!

R. Kontny
This discussion has been closed.