Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Hampshire, Live Free and Die

lchmb
lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
It really doesn't surprise me to see something like this. But it is not just in NH you see this. I have travelled to other state's (that have licensing) and have seen similiar if not worse work. I almost hate to ask, but was this in the Lake's Region area? Now as to the gas license, although the law is in effect there is no licensing test or enforcement as of yet. As to a permit, I've seen job's in worse shape than that with the license hung over the top of it...

Comments

• R. Swatton
    R. Swatton Member Posts: 86
    Live Free and Die

Received a call from a heating contractor in NH. Told me an older woman called who just had a heating system installed. The boiler and heating system were making a lot of noise and not heating the house. He sent me some pictures. I called the local inspector and was informed there was no permit, gas or plumbing. We met the next day..
    The woman gave the installers name to the inspector. The installer was a licensed plumber of NH. The inspector said there was nothing he could do. Said it was a civil matter.

So let me get this.
    You need a license to do plumbing and gas to do plumbing in NH
    But if you don’t pull a permit, no big deal.
    New Hampshire, Live Free Or Die, or is it Live Free and Die

Authorized Heat Tranfer Products Sevice Agent
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    looks like...

it might be die & live free?

Same stupidity goes on round here too. Those who flaunt authority and diss the system get a free ride. Tain't fair, but that's life - or, perhaps, death.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    not surprised

> Received a call from a heating contractor in NH.

> Told me an older woman called who just had a

> heating system installed. The boiler and heating

> system were making a lot of noise and not heating

> the house. He sent me some pictures. I called the

> local inspector and was informed there was no

> permit, gas or plumbing. We met the next

> day.. The woman gave the installers name to the

> inspector. The installer was a licensed plumber

> of NH. The inspector said there was nothing he

> could do. Said it was a civil matter.

>

> So let

> me get this. You need a license to do plumbing

> and gas to do plumbing in NH But if you don’t

> pull a permit, no big deal. New Hampshire, Live

> Free Or Die, or is it Live Free and

> Die

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Authorized Heat Tranfer

> Products Sevice Agent

• Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Permit

Pretty scary stuff. I do hope there is a relief valve on that boiler somewhere. I'm not surprised either. Being in this business as long as I have, Iv'e become a hopeless skeptic. I have seen so many rip offs and butchers with licenses, the municipalities must require them so the town can make money and nothing else. As for permits, what inspector passed that job? Again, the permits are required as a cash cow, nothing more. I have seen inspectors signoff on a job and not even enter the house. But, remember the licensing is to prevent the costomer from being ripped off, or so I'm told.
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    lchmb...

looks to me like Hampton Beach...if its not plumbing the local Building dept. usually won't touch it. Some of the bigger towns/cities will. The only real recourse they have would be the State Fire Marshal....sad but true. kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405

A quick browse indicates that NH has adopted the International Codes. Didn't spend too much time on researching this, but I belive I am correct.

Therefore, if the above is true, installation of equipment requires a permit. The code indicates at the very least systems be installed per instructions, not to mention the violations of the plumbing, mechanical and fuel gas codes.

Two distict problems here, first is violation of the codes, second is probably some violation of his licensing.

Definitely not a civil matter. Ticket #1 to homeowner: 1 count of failure to obtain building permit. Ticket #2 to contractor: multiple counts of violating the codes; copy of court information to licensing bureau.

If you are genuinely interested in following up, contact the NH DOS.

Tim

• psd_3
    psd_3 Member Posts: 86
    Proud to live in NH

This is a local town issue and not indicitive of NH in general. In my NH town, permits for heating equipment are issued by the inspector who happens to be the fire chief. There is a pre-installation walk through between contractor and inspector where plans and expectations are shared. There is also a post installation inspection which includes code, safety and efficiency checks. Needless to say ... some folks take their jobs seriously and don't pass the buck to the next guy. In the case stated here, both the contractor and inspector seem to have short changed thier responsibilities ... leaving the homeowner in the lurch.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Live free or die

As of January 1 , 2007 all gas work needs to be done by a licensed people. That is the gas work only , not the heating system.....The gas installer would not have installed the gas to the unit until the code violations that would come back to bite him were corrected anyway...

In NH you don't need a Plumbers license or any license to install a heating system.....

A State permit is required for a Oil fired installation and is inspected by the Fire Chief . All installs are required to meet NFPA 31 . If you don't get a permit you could find yourself in court.

It's to bad for the lady , she is a day late and a dollar short.

the State fire Marshals office might be able to help her....

Believe it or not that type of work in not the rule in NH , but as the pictures show , it does happen.....

Dave in NH
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Inspector

and the townships are there only for the fees . Recently a local women sued the inspector for taking the permit money and not inspecting her job she won ,the township had to pay to get it repaired.
  • Lee_3
    Lee_3 Member Posts: 17
    I had a new boiler installed

I recently had a new gas boiler and indirect installed in my 35 year old home in Nashua NH. Live Free or Die speaks to taxes and government on our back and less of each is good but ... in the case of public and family safety we need some oversite.

I was suprised that a couple of experienced licensed plumbers would do the replacement with no permits, I asked about price icluding permits and inspection. They said they would do it with no permits since " I didn't want to get the inspector in my house because he might find other problems".

A new boiler without permits and inspection aside form potential safety issues would void my home owners policy.

I have an inspected boiler and indirect.
This discussion has been closed.