Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Circulator for Converted Gravity Hot Water System

you have much more water to move than in a newer setup. So you need a bit more pump. Pauls choice of a Grundfos UP-26-65-F should be OK. Another good choice is a Taco 0010 if you don't need a 3-speed circ.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Sam_19
    Sam_19 Member Posts: 2
    New Circulator for Gravity Hot Water System

I have finally found a contractor here in St. Louis who will install a new circulator in a "pumping away" setup, to hopefully get more heat out of the farthest away radiators. But I want to make sure we put in the right equipment.

I have a three story house with 18 radiators that add up to about 1300 EDR. There are 3" supplies and returns in the basement with 1 1/4" pipes going in and out of the boiler, which is a 1983 Burnham P-208-WI 208,000 BTU with an IBR rating of 165,200 BTU. The pipes up to the radiators are 1". The longest 3" pipe run in the basement is about 62'.

I do not fully understand the Sizing Circulators Article, but I have been told previously in this forum that high-head, wet rotor circulators are wrong for this system.

The contractor wants to put in a PL-36 along with a generic air seperator. The PL-36 looks like it is dry, but high head. A Bell & Gossett engineering rep. said the Taco-007 I have on the return is fine and not the problem. No help there.

In the Pumping Away book, I think the Series 100 is recommended.

What is the right way to go here?

I am attaching a photo if it helps.

Thanks
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Circ selection

I'd be using the Grundfos 26-65 3 speed. Wet rotor is fine for this application, the #100 requires maintainence (oiling) The Grundfos pump uses less electricity and has variable speed selection.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Uni R_3
    Uni R_3 Member Posts: 299
    Grundfos 15-58

See how low it will go. I can't think why it wouldn't be fine on it's lowest setting. Easy enough to change if you need medium speed.

That PL36 is way too much pump. A waste of purchase dollars and a waste of electricity.

The 007 would obviously be fine as well.

(the PL=36 uses about 240 watts vs 60-80w like the 007 or 15-58 - it will also have the water moving far too fast)

• Sam_19
    Sam_19 Member Posts: 2
    Circulator

Thanks for the ideas. I cannot find a UP-26-65-F. They have a UP-26-64-F and a UP-26-64-F/VS. The VS says it is variable speed. There is also a UPS-26-99-F.

Are these the ones you are talking about?

How would the variable speed impact the situation as opposed to the single speed?

• John_82
    John_82 Member Posts: 63

three speed pumps allow you to play with your delta-t. fast water = smaller delta-t, slow water = greater delta-t.
This discussion has been closed.