Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sizing radiator steam traps

Referring to Holohan's chart for Hoffman traps on pg. 148 of TLA, let's say that a radiator's s.f. EDR called for a 17C trap. What would the effect or result be if an 8C was instead installed?

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    if replacing

just one, try to match its capacity with a ''like'' capacity trap..if your talking in general, the radiator traps can only allow thru what the return main air vent allows..its the final orifice.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• William Faust
    William Faust Member Posts: 168
    too little = bad; too big is the same?

I understand that a trap that is undersized limits optimal radiator steam trapping and air venting. My issue, however, is that I have an 8C on a radiator that should instead have a 17C and I want to know whether it is a problem. Neither Holohan's book nor online Hoffman literature addresses this issue. Is it screwing up trapping and venting performance?

Additionally, most of my radiators have Trane B1 traps. They range from 1/2" to 3/4" size in either angle or vertical configuration. I would appreciate knowing where I could find a Trane Capacity Table for these traps similar to the chart on pg. 148 of Holohan's TLA.
This discussion has been closed.