Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

excessive amount of time for steam from peerless 61 gas boiler

jim_120
jim_120 Member Posts: 1
Matt Yes that plate will provide access to cleaning between the sections with a wire brush.If you do this, shut your boiler off and remove the burner tubes from the rack below. Reason is cleaning the sections will sent crap down onto the tubes which will then also have to be cleaned. Proper Series 561 boilers should make steam at the header in approx 6-8 minutes.You can try Rhomar hydro- solv cleaner and follow directions ,it's a good product.If after that your system does not improve- then it's time for a Pro to check it.

Comments

• matt donovan
    matt donovan Member Posts: 7

hey! I am having trouble with steam pressure on peerless 51 gas boiler approx. 16 yrs old. presure on system went to 16lbs without shutting off. replaced the honeywell pressure swith and the pressure gage. plumber says that the system is taking too long to heat water to steam (30 min) an when pressure starts to rise is does so very slowly. no steam leaks noted in system nor steam radiators. boiler sight glass will be bouncing up and down and the gas burners are operating properly. the plumber thinks there is a lot of mud in the bottom of the boiler and if so, what is the procedure to clean out the boiler? There is a large rectangular cast iron plate on the side of the boiler depicted as a "clean out cover plate" fastened by six nuts on studs. will this allow entry into the boiler for cleaning purposes or is it for removing carbon or other residue formed by the gas burners? if not is there a product that will break up any of the mud and facilitate its removal from the boiler
  • matt donovan

the boiler is a peerless series 61 gas boiler. didn't think it was clear in my original post that the plumber said the pressure problem was corrected by the new switch. the extended cycle problem is still there...
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    You need a Steam Man

the root of your problems could be dirt, or bad combustion, or something else. Try the Find a Professional page of this site.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • matt donovan

what about my question regrding the flushing of any mud that may be present in the system. it is probably something i can do myself and if the problem persists, then i would seek addidion l help.
    ???
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,235
    Matt...

The reason that you're not getting answers here is because the problem cannot be diagnosed without a bit of investigating. Taking any bolts that have been in cast iron for 16 years will certainly result in some broken bolts, and you'll need a new gasket when you put it back together if you can. Se we really don't like to take stuff apart that has been together that long if we don't have to. A well-fitted boiler will have a clean-out in the return piping to permit the mud leg to be cleaned. Sometimes you can clean it through the drain valve, the relief valve etc...

Like another knowing post says, the problem could be bad combustion, low gas pressure or something more simple than gack in the boiler. Or the boiler could be steaming but the system is not letting the air escape.

If the water line is bouncing in the boiler, it oftem means that the water is dirty or has oil in it. A boiler with oil in it will take FOREVER to steam.

So as another before me has said, before you start breaking bolts, get an experienced steam man to look at the system, not just the boiler. You'll wish you did as you hear bolt #3 snap off as you try to loosten it...

Long Beach Ed
  • matt donovan

I see your point. thanks for the information and the advice
  • matt donovan

upon further inspection, the cast iron cover plate slides over studs mouted in the boiler. brass nuts secure the plate to the boiler. the nuts over the studs loosened with little effort and since they are on studs there is no corosion and can effortlessly removed. I did not remove them since i don't want to disturb the gasket until i am sure that the cover plate will allow access to the boiler for cleaning.

If anyone is familiar with a peerless 561 steam boiler and knows if it will allow access , please respond.
  • Big Guy
    Big Guy Member Posts: 2
    Matt..

The cleanout plate allows access for cleaning the flue side of the boiler only and not the internal waterways. As there are many possible reasons for your problem, it would be best to have a good steam person take a look at your boiler and system.

BG
  • matt donovan

thanks for your help
  • matt donovan

thank you for your imput
This discussion has been closed.