Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam system regulation

I have a 7 unit building with a 5 year old Peerless 560,000 BTU boiler. The system is currently controled by an outdoor sensor that simply turns the system off at a set temp. which I have set at 55 degrees, and also a consensate return sensor which I have set at 155 degrees. These are the only controls I have on this system. It doesn't offer much control. I'm thinking about installing a Tekmar 269 however will I recoop the cost on this size building? Another thought is to put a $150 thermostat in the boiler room with a remote sensor in one of the apartments. I would keep the condensate sensor and connect the thermostat in addition in series. If you have gone through a similar case please give me your input. Also input on a thermostat if that is the route you think I should take.
Thanks
Jerry

Comments

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Go with the Tekmar

Install the sensors as directed, find the proper curves and it will only run the boiler when heat is needed. We have had very good results with this control.

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    I second the Tekmar 269

The way you are proposing to control it with a sample apartment 'stat "has been done before". Like a stopped clock it is right twice a day. Well, a tad better than that. But why not control the number of cycles per hour based on outdoor temperature and with indoor feedback? Tie them all together.

It has been done on similar buildings (plus the addition of thermostatic radiator vent valves for tenant "control" if one pipe steam) and has saved enough to pay for the unit after a season or two depending on the size of the system. Increased comfort too.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    Jerry

Here is the thread.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Patrick Mullaney
    Patrick Mullaney Member Posts: 67
    Brad - ROI Question

Is it feasible to recoup the cost of the product and then the labor for the install in a single season, or possibly 2 seasons? That would be rather significant long-term savings on utility bills over the lifetime of the Tekmar and/or the building. Am I reading the posts correctly?

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.