Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Want a laugh?

John Mills_5
John Mills_5 Member Posts: 952
New customer calls, landscape store. Old wreck of a building probably be torn down soon. 2 trashed boilers twinned but 1 disconnect. Old gas Crane still work. 3 relic pumps, 2 Thrush and 1 B&G. He points to one Thrush, wants this replaced, it does the main part of the store. B&G on left abandoned, leaky Thrush on the right does part of the store but he doesn't care about that. Mess of old relays on the wall. We quoted pump and new pump panel to replace all the relays.

Got her done, no water flow through the front baseboard. Dang. Finally start tracing pipes. Pump he had us change went to an abandoned heater in the back ceiling. Doh!

Today convinced him of his error which he admitted, moved our new pump to where the B&G was, filled her up. Got the front loop heating, the old leaky Thrush works and had the south loop heating. Amazing.

Moral of story, look for yourself before trusting manager's instructions! At least they will compensate for extra time! But what do you expect from a bunch of dry heads!

Comments

• ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    Reminds me of the time

> New customer calls, landscape store. Old wreck of

> a building probably be torn down soon. 2 trashed

> boilers twinned but 1 disconnect. Old gas Crane

> still work. 3 relic pumps, 2 Thrush and 1 B&G. He

> points to one Thrush, wants this replaced, it

> does the main part of the store. B&G on left

> abandoned, leaky Thrush on the right does part of

> the store but he doesn't care about that. Mess of

> old relays on the wall. We quoted pump and new

> pump panel to replace all the relays.

>

> Got her

> done, no water flow through the front baseboard.

> Dang. Finally start tracing pipes. Pump he had us

> change went to an abandoned heater in the back

> ceiling. Doh!

>

> Today convinced him of his error

> which he admitted, moved our new pump to where

> the B&G was, filled her up. Got the front loop

> heating, the old leaky Thrush works and had the

> south loop heating. Amazing.

>

> Moral of story,

> look for yourself before trusting manager's

> instructions! At least they will compensate for

> extra time! But what do you expect from a bunch

> of dry heads!

I went to check on a job at a steam heated commercial (formerly industrial) building. Just checking on the pipefitters' progress on some unit heater additions, when the electricians told me the electrical inspectors required the removal of an "unused" pipe running through the new electrical service room. So they cut it out.

It was the dry return for a whole wing of the steam system!

The temps were still mild so heat hadn't been required. The manager said to me, "We don't really need that pipe do we? Its empty anyway." Seriously. It was a moment of poor self-awareness so I honestly don't remembered if I laughed or merely let my jaw hit the floor.

In the end, we had to have the concrete cut, buried the line and ran a crossover vent pipe to bypass the new electric service room. We had nowhere to go with it other than outside if we didn't want to bury it. The service room had been moved to this location at the last minute from where the working drawings showed it. Job security, I guess.

-Terry

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

• ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    Reminds me of the time

I went to check on a job at a steam heated commercial (formerly industrial) building. Just checking on the pipefitters' progress on some unit heater additions, when the electricians told me the electrical inspectors required the removal of an "unused" pipe running through the new electrical service room. So they cut it out.

It was the dry return for a whole wing of the steam system!

The temps were still mild so heat hadn't been required. The manager said to me, "We don't really need that pipe do we? Its empty anyway." Seriously. It was a moment of poor self-awareness so I honestly don't remembered if I laughed or merely let my jaw hit the floor.

edit: I think this manager is now going for his MBA.

In the end, we had to have the concrete cut, buried the line and ran a crossover vent pipe to bypass the new electric service room. We had nowhere to go with it other than outside if we didn't want to bury it. The service room had been moved to this location at the last minute from where the working drawings showed it. Job security, I guess.

-Terry

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    Favorite mishap

> New customer calls, landscape store. Old wreck of

> a building probably be torn down soon. 2 trashed

> boilers twinned but 1 disconnect. Old gas Crane

> still work. 3 relic pumps, 2 Thrush and 1 B&G. He

> points to one Thrush, wants this replaced, it

> does the main part of the store. B&G on left

> abandoned, leaky Thrush on the right does part of

> the store but he doesn't care about that. Mess of

> old relays on the wall. We quoted pump and new

> pump panel to replace all the relays.

>

> Got her

> done, no water flow through the front baseboard.

> Dang. Finally start tracing pipes. Pump he had us

> change went to an abandoned heater in the back

> ceiling. Doh!

>

> Today convinced him of his error

> which he admitted, moved our new pump to where

> the B&G was, filled her up. Got the front loop

> heating, the old leaky Thrush works and had the

> south loop heating. Amazing.

>

> Moral of story,

> look for yourself before trusting manager's

> instructions! At least they will compensate for

> extra time! But what do you expect from a bunch

> of dry heads!

One of my favorites was we sent one of our service techs over to a house to service the furnace, back door open, go in and service, he went to the wrong house and the back door was open so he service their furnace by accident. Just slightly embarrasing. :(
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    Favorite mishap

One of my favorites was we sent one of our service techs over to a house to service the furnace, back door open, go in and service, he went to the wrong house and the back door was open so he service their furnace by accident. Just slightly embarrasing. :(
  • Tombig_5
    Tombig_5 Member Posts: 60
    Wrong house

At least you're not a demolition company.
This discussion has been closed.