Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiators not heating all the way across

ttekushan_3
ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
would kill to have that kind of balance.

Besides, if the temp comes up quickly with evenly heated radiators, why would you want more? If they heat too fast, the cast iron content will insure that they heat too much under those conditions. Overheating is not an inherently efficient way to operate anything. Another way to look at it is if the boiler is so big that it can heat cast iron radiators all the way across in less than 15 minutes FROM COLD its so oversized that your efficiency's way off it optimal level. Some of the most efficient heating systems out there work a little more slowly and evenly.

BTW if its colder outside the system heating cycles are closer together. So heat is retained in the piping and a little in the radiators. So the "starting point" of the system in cold versus mild weather is not really equivalent.

Sounds to me the heating system is well tuned to the structure.

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

Comments

• Robert Knox
    Robert Knox Member Posts: 5

First of all, I DID read the section in "Steam Problems" regarding radiator temperatures. However, I just wanted to double check with this forum.

Last week, during our warm spell here in MA, I noticed that even though the rooms got up to temperature in 15 minutes, the radiators were warm only half way across. To my naive thinking (and desire to conserve), I would think that if the radiators could get warm ALL the way across, the time to raise the temperature would be reduced.

Also, tonight - on a much colder night - the time to reach temp is still 15-20 minutes, AND the radiators are warm all the way across.
    Should I take this as a good sign that my system is "balanced" (I apologize if I'm using that term incorrectly)?

Bob.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    I agree

as long as the rads heat up at pretty much the same rate and the rooms are at even temperatures, your system is working as it should.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.