Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What to do with a vent on a two-pipe radiator?

Although my system is primarily one-pipe, I have a single two-pipe radiator in the master bedroom - with an air vent! What should I do with the air vent? I recently bought a vent designed for the radiators nearest the thermostat/boiler with the thought that this would have the smallest opening.
It "seems" to be working ok, but I'm concerned that it may not be as efficient as possible.

Thanks for any advice.

Bob.

Comments

• ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    without knowing

where those 2-pipe radiator pipes go, I wouldn't recommend changing anything there. There was such a thing as two-pipe-with-vent. Didn't need steam traps, could drain to a wet return, but without the counterflow (steam and condensate running in opposite directions) issues of single pipe.

For example, if it was deemed that the bedroom radiator supply piping could not handle both steam and condensate loads because of, say, a very lengthy horizontal run somewhere, a separate condensate drain line could solve the problem. Its still got to be vented as a single-pipe radiator would or else it won't heat. I suspect this is the precise situation in your home.

There's nothing inherently inefficient with a smaller orifice radiator vent. Is that the vent that helps maintain even heat throughout the rest of the house? Then you're OK. Another post you made here suggested that everything heats evenly and reasonably quickly. Relax.

As I always say, before any discussion of efficiency the question to answer is, "Is the system effective?" Sounds like it is. If the balance is good, and it heats well and doesn't overheat, I'd concentrate my efficiency dollars on getting a pro in there to make sure the boiler is burning cleanly and efficently.

You can even click above on the convenient "Find a Pro" button above!

-Terry, insomniacs anonymous.

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

This discussion has been closed.