Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mountain out of Molehill

mtfallsmikey
mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
The consumer reporter has more influence on the general public than the utility in this case, and will cause a lot more negativity to be spread, causing even more mistrust from the public, making things even rougher on my beleagured contractor brothers. I for one am glad John chose what I thought to be the high road in this, and sticking his neck out for all of us, regardless of where you may be located.

Comments

• Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Mountain out of molehill

Sorry John Hall but you are making a mountain out of a molehill.You should be going after the utility not a consumer reporter!

I have a hard time understanding the extent of your anger as Ruth Spencer is only reporting what is probaly a great hourly rate (due to the utility practice of subsidizing their service dept. with other revenues.

Your efforts would be better directed at the trade associations, local unions and legislators who can do something about utilities' often unfair business practices.

What is you real agenda??? This does not make sense to me and I am sure many others who have experienced the tactics of utilities that have monopolies!!!

R. Kontny
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Rich, you're entitled to your opinion

but obviously many of us disagree.

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Response

Steasmhead and others,

I have used this forum for I believe about four years now and I really feel it has very knowledgable and well informed contributors.

20-25 years ago I would have probaly responded about the same way as John did. The only real blunder this Ruth Spencer made was to say "they just want to sell you new equipment...."Other than that she made PUBLIC another attempt by a utility to unfairly compete with independent contractors.Therefore she indirectly did us a favor and I have to believe she regrets here verbage blunder.

While I applaud John for his loyalty to the industry,I remind you that this is a public forum and I and others feel that over response only hurts our reputation. After I believe 37 posts and counting I would say John has made his point and should probaly move on!

Is this an attempt to set a record with "Google" or whatever, or is this truly a forum for heating & plumbing professionals?

Yes I am entitled to my opinion and I feel enough is enough. Where I come from we don't pick fights w/women and we do practice something called forgiveness.

I have fought turf battles w/ the utilities before and we almost always win because they cannot use their monopoly to create an unfair business advantage. Read between the lines and you will see that the utility is doing inside work that it has no right to do! However it will do so if not confronted by trade groups, unions etc.

I thank John for bringing this to our attention but his vengeful attacks would be better directed toward the utility!!!I have seen this tactic used by Lake Superior District Power,Duluth Power and Light,Northern States Power and others.All of which were confronted, challenged and forced to stop providng subsidized service of gas heating appliances on the house side of their meters (other tham emergency shutoffs and red tagging)

You may want to pull up Ruth Spencer's name and read her bio regarding her charity and community involvement!

Enough said, if you and others want to crucify this lady that is your right!

R.Kontny

• John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,245
    Rich

Just a note: ask my friends in the local ACCA chapter about my involvement with their fight against the local utility and cross-subsidization, unfair competition, and illegal use of ratepayer money. And check the archives at The NEWS. I've done a lot of stories about utilities and probably should do more. I guess I've gotten a little sidetracked by people who keep killing themselves with CO poisoning and other such nonsense. I'll have to get back on track. Thanks for the nudge.
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Amen

John,

I have done the same thing in regards to the flat-rate debate.I took it quite possibly too far, I worked for the Guru for several years and new the pitfalls of flat-rate and forgot to think of the positives.

I went so far as to confront Frank in Toronto in 02 and both of us were asked to leave.I missed a great convention and Frank lost out on his seminars there.

In hindsight I probaly would not have changed anything,however I have come to appreciate the positive things I learned from Frank and his sons.They are top shelf number crunchers,superb marketers,have an excellant inventory system and are very innovative! The problem I had was their whatever the traffic will bare price structure.

Frank has raised the bar for plmbing and heating investment return while I very bluntly reminded him of the fact that extreme charge chase marginal DIYs to the box stores and handymen.

In hindsight we all grow and learn as varibles change.We also all seem to get up on our soap boxes now and then.I was not totally disagreeing I was indeed trying to channel your efforts to the real threats.

Thanks for the last message I suspected that you were passionate about these issues and obviosly you truly are.

Take care and keep up the good fight!

R.Kontny
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,245
    Still got my tongue in my cheek

:-)
This discussion has been closed.