Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Diesel (vs) Lead Gas???

Dave_4
Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
Mike, how many miles a year do you put on your truck? If you do a lot of miles and its heavily loaded or towing then it will pay that option off much quicker. The big advantage with the diesel simply is that the fuel economy doesn't drop off much when they are put to work. However, you might also want to factor in that an oil changes on a diesel will cost you considerably more with a diesel (possibly $100 instead of $30). Like an oil boiler they aren't overly fond of being cold-start - you may want to plug it in over the winter if it ever gets truly cold around here.

Comments

• Dave_4
    > Good to know and by the way I think the 150

> series can only handle just over 6 dozen Roses in

> cargo. (Just kidding). 150 is out of the Q:.

> Thanks,...

>

> Mike T.

dave

• Dave_4

> Thanks,...

>

> Mike T.

dave

• Dave_4

> Thanks,...

>

> Mike T.

dave

• Dave_4

> Thanks,...

>

> Mike T.

dave

• Dave_4

> Thanks,...

>

> Mike T.

dave

• Dave_4

> Thanks,...

>

> Mike T.

dave

• Dave_4

> Thanks,...

>

> Mike T.

dave

• Dave_4

> Thanks,...

>

> Mike T.

dave

• Dave_4

> Thanks,...

>

> Mike T.

dave

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,340
    Where or what are the cost savings/drawbacks?

Looking to purchase either Ford,...E-250 or 350 series service vans and was wondering what is the savings critique on the 2 fuels in question? Better to buy gas powered OR diesel??? Q: of the Century. All bis owner chime in if you can. Not determining a weight ratio, but an overall fuel comparison.

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks.

Mike T.
  • Maine Ken
    Maine Ken Member Posts: 531

Love my Duramax in my GMC. over 18mpg compared to less than 11gas!!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • neil_7
    neil_7 Member Posts: 2

been looking to convert to oil in tx. have a line from a resturant chian we service
    cook my own biodiesel and the hell w/ exon moble
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,980
    Price points.

Not helping, just playing "devils advocate" here...but, Diesel fuel is more expensive to buy at the pump than gas...right now in the Northeast anyway.

Initial costs. A truck with the diesel option has a price tag a couple grand (or MORE)higher on average,than a gas vehicle. MPG vs. initial cost...+ maintenance outlay over the life of the vehicle???? If you drive MANY mile per year, it may make sense. If you drive the truck for 4 years and trade on a new one? Your guess is as good as mine. I'm just laying out the questions. Chris
  • Empire_2
    Uni R

I am in the NE and at least thisa year it's not been cold. I am leanning toward the Gas which is tried and true, but have heard that the diesel is almost,..and I state that lightly, a 2:1 ratio in comparison. Huh? That's what I said.

Mike T.
  • Maine Ken
    Maine Ken Member Posts: 531

Chris, So far after the first 14 months of running the diesel, the fuel savings has already made up for the initial cost differance. The service (oil changes) cost me $60.40 every time. In comparison my Ram 2500 (V-8 gas)costs me $87.75 every time. I have yet to have any problem with cold starting. The new Duramax has some very nice temp sensors that controll fuel ratio and rpm during warm-up. FWIW I will be adding a second diesel (along with help to drive it) soon. I won't go back to gas.

Maine Ken

Also both services are done by the respective dealers.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557

It's been a while, but when I was doing service work and switched to a diesel van I noticed one great advantage. The power to the wheels in the diesel was much smoother than the gas van. This made driving in the snow much easier as the rear wheels weren't as likely to break loose.
  • Gene_3
    Gene_3 Member Posts: 289
    check out the Dodge/Mercedes/Freightliner Sprinter

gets @ 30mpg

a diesel engine has about 17-1 compression compared to 8-1 gas = more power per stroke = less fuel

I had a Dodge Ram 4x4 2500HD 360 V8 -- 13mpg all day long

I now have the same truck w/ Cummins 600 diesel 18-24mpg

not only that the fewer oil changes, no sprak plugs etc and the fact that the engines should go 250,000-500,000 miles all add up to big savings for a fleet

I prepared a report for a company I worked for years ago, trying to get them to go to diesel, they had 150 vans, I had calculated an easy 4-5 million dollars in savings even adding the additional costs of the diesel engine upgrade.

They wouldn't go for it, that was 1999, bet they think about it now.

Oh, I almost forgot, watch your rear end ratio, stay below 3.73, with a diesel you have lots of torque so 4.11s or anything higher than 3.55 is not required, it just makes the engine turn faster.

I have 3.73s and can melt the tires at will whether I want to or not so if you have a crew you want 3.00 or 3.23, it will increase your mpg and decrease your techs from smoking the tires.

My Dodge 600 has so much power when the roads are wet I have to put in 4wd to leave a light with a slight upgrade and I currently have 400lbs in the back for winter traction.
  • John@Reliable_13
    John@Reliable_13 Member Posts: 34
    Mike, I love my Ford E350 Diesel

1997 E350 long van, has over 200,000 miles and never any motor trouble. This van gets about 18 mpg and always weights in (overloaded)at about 11,000. I love the look I get when they put it on a lift or jack it up for tires. I live in Ma and it gets cold, but van has never been plugged in.Did have problem last year with cold starting and through that glow plugs were gone but, it was the starter not turning fast enough. New starter and like new again. Van has more power than needed, can pull away from others at lights to thier surprise, nothing like the turbo kicking in and still pushing you back into the seat.I have three diesel trucks and this one is the best I think.
  • Empire_2
    Hello Gene:

Good to know and by the way I think the 150 series can only handle just over 6 dozen Roses in cargo. (Just kidding). 150 is out of the Q:.

Thanks,...

Mike T.
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    I don't know right now

I have 3 diesel vehicles. An 05 F250 extended cab pickup, an 06 F-250 four door pickup and an 04 Sprinter.
    The two trucks get 15-17 real, measured, MPG running around with light to medium loads. If either one runs out a tank at steady Xway speeds 70-80 the MPG drops to 14-15. When you keep the RPM below 2000 and the boost below 10PSI either one will get 18+. Yanking a big load around is a whole 'nuther can of worms. Last week I pulled the 24' 5th wheel with the backhoe on it about 260 miles. That load weighs in at a touch under 13,000 lbs. We ran at 70MPH down the expressway for 85% of the trip. Actual mileage was 9.8 mpg. Not great but not bad for cranking a total combined weight of nearly 20,000 pounds down the road at 70.

The Sprinter is loaded pretty well 100% of the time. When we let it idle or use the auxilary water temp booster the mileage will be 19-19.5. Normal running around is all less than 20 mile trips and it will nearly always be 20.5 to 21 mpg.

These are all actual measured numbers for the mileage derived by taking the miles driven and dividing by the number of gallons used to fill the tank. People who use the gas gauge to "estimate" their MPG are usually hopelessly optimistic with claims of 20+ for their trucks and 25-30 for the Sprinter. I've never been able to generate those kinds of numbers in any of the 5 diesel vehicles I've owned. As an example, A friend and I each drove to South Dakota a couple years ago. I was driving an 01 F-350 4WD and he had a Chevy 2500 with a Duramax/Allison combo. He was always and forever claiming that he got 22-24 MPG with his truck while I knew I was getting 15-17 with mine. Every time we stopped for fuel however, his truck took the same or a skosh more than mine did. He claimed it was because we were running 80-85 on the interstate. I doubt it.

I guess what I'm saying is don't be overly optimistic on what your mileage will be with a diesel. Plan on 15-17 with a 3/4T 4WD and a couple MPG better than that with a 2WD. Gear ratio does make a huge difference so don't but anything over a 3.73. Stick with a 3.5 or less if you can get it.

My brother in law has 6-7 gas powered service vans on the road. These are all 3/4T Chevy's with aftermarket boxes on the back. They are heavy but not more than 1,000 pounds over what my Sprinter weighs. His guys tell me they are happier than a pig in mud when they crack 11MPG on a tank of fuel. Most times they run under 10. That's the other side of the gas/diesel coin.

BTW, he's had lot's of mechanical problems with those vans. Nothing major like motors or tranny's but it seems like I always see one or more on the hoist at the local service station.
  • Gene_3
    Gene_3 Member Posts: 289
    no

I meant that they had one hundred and fifty vans in 3 states, big firm.

That's why they would save so much, or, would have.

anyone that would try and use a 1/4 ton or 150 for our work should be slapped
  • Dave_4

I own a 2002 E350 with the 7.3 turbo power stroke . The truck now has 85,000 miles on it and is loaded to the max all the time. Around town I get 12 MPG and 14 MPG on the highway.

It has a lot of torque for pulling trailers and has been mentioned it is a tank in the snow.

BUT

1. Around here the cost of diesel fuel is 20% more than gas.

2. The drive train was $5,000 more than gas. So unless your paying cash figure finance charges in the added cost.

3. As has been mentioned oil changes are over $60.00. My powerstroke holds 4 gallons of oil.

4. I have two batteries and have to change them every 2 years.

So if your buying a diesel for the torque and power ( I do like the sound of my turbo when it ramps up ) go for it. I your buying a diesel thinking your going to save buckets of money , you may be disappointed.

Dave in NH
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    sprinter

we have 2 Sprinters 35oo dual wheel which is rated 4000lb payload . You can stand in them, they turn tighter than any other van they get 18-20 mpg and yes that is actual not a guess. single wheel versions and low roofs can do better.

the real question is why would anyone by a ford or chevy van??? Box style trucks we have a chevy with spartan and mitsu cab over with spartan box the mitsu is areal truck and the chevy atoy in comparison.

• joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    sprinter

we have 2 Sprinters 35oo dual wheel which is rated 4000lb payload . You can stand in them, they turn tighter than any other van they get 18-20 mpg and yes that is actual not a guess. single wheel versions and low roofs can do better.

the real question is why would anyone by a ford or chevy van??? Box style trucks we have a chevy with spartan and mitsu cab over with spartan box the mitsu is a real truck and the chevy a toy in comparison.

This discussion has been closed.