Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Water System Trouble

Kenny_3
Kenny_3 Member Posts: 11
What do you mean by limit?-I do not think the circulator is working

Comments

• Kenny_3
    Hot Water System Trouble

I have a hot water system and it will not stay on. My heat is not working-The furnace will go for 3 minutes and then it will shut off-The thermostat is on 75 and it is 64 in the house. What puzzles me is that it will go on and then just shut off. It stays off for about 15 minutes and then goes on for 3 minutes. Any help is appreciated. I have a baby in the house and it is going to be very cold tonight
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    Not much to go on but

when it does go on, what temperature does the boiler reach?

My first thought is that the circulator may not be operating (simple as a switch or motor, coupling or other more complicated issue).

With no water flow the boiler can rapidly meet the high limit yet deliver no heat to the space.

See if the circulator is running, has power at least. It may also be a circulator control which is broken. An aquastat that may turn on the circulator only after the boiler warms. An old way to start a circulator and protect the boiler from seeing cold water.

Could be something else but the timing of intermittent fire and re-starting gets me to that place.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Kenny_3

Thank You for assistance--The tempature is 180 degrees-How do I check if the circulator is working?
  • terry_5
    terry_5 Member Posts: 92

sounds like you're going off on limit!
  • Brad White
    Feel it or listen up close

Some circulators are very quiet especially the water-lubricated ones.

If you have an older style with a spring coupler, you can see it run. Otherwise feel it or listen up close without burning your ear.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Brad White
    The limit is

the primary safety control. Normally it is set about 20 degrees above the operating temperature (200 for a 180 degree normal high system temperature). Usually set well below boiling...

What water pressure do you have? You should have at least 12 lbs at the boiler. If it is not showing up you have a hot boiler. DO NOT let water into a hot boiler. It may be time to call a pro.

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.