Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

domestic hot water recirc for radiant floor/wall

ALH_4
ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
Generally using potable water for heating or cooling is considered unsafe. There is the possibility of Legionella bacteria growing in the heating system.

You could use a water heater like the <a href="http://www.bradfordwhite.com/images/shared/pdfs/specsheets/546B.pdf"target="_blank">Combi2</a> or pipe an external heat exchanger off the side of the water heater.

Comments

• Bigheadtodd_2
    Bigheadtodd_2 Member Posts: 12
    domestic hot water recirc for radiant floor/wall

Working on a project with scorched air. Was asked if I could provide a warm shower floor and bench as well as a small area of wall space next to a tub. I was thinking I could do it with the domestic hot water recirculateing piping.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I thought I would place tube in the shower floor sub strate no big deal, thought I could do a radiant wall around the tub, would do 3 walls.

I'm not sure how to control, not sure about what size pipe to use and how long I should run the loop lengths.I would want to pipe the floor and wall and then continue on to the rest of the fixtures.

Also,what about supply temperature?

I will be useing Aquapex. I normaly run 3/4 for the return on the recirc line. I'd like to use heat transfer plates for the wall, but I dont think they make 3/4 plates??

This is a 3 story condo, water heater is on first floor. Because of ducts in the way, I will have 2 recirc lines returning to the water heater. Water heater will have supplemental hot water by way of solar storage.

Any help would be much appreceiated. Thanks Todd
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

May be a good application for electric mats/cables.

Shower floors generally have some sort of truly water proof "pan" surrounding a water-resistant base. Not particularly easy to get pipes into the base without penetrating the waterproof pan thus making it less than waterproof...
This discussion has been closed.