Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Range Boilers, Gravity Expert Needed!!

> I've been using a range boiler system with a wood <BR>
> stove for the last 20 years and have assumed that <BR>
> since nothing bad ever happened, it's probably <BR>
> ok. Are they safe and what is the best and safest <BR>
> way to design/install one?<BR>
> <BR>
> Also looking to <BR>
> hire a professional who specializes in gravity <BR>
> systems to design one for me. In about 18 months <BR>
> I'll start building my new home. There is nobody <BR>
> listed in my area on the 'Find A Professional' <BR>
> page. <BR>
<BR>
Very effective way to heat water if you use wood or coal heat in a stove. However, the one glaring problem with this set up is safety. It is difficult to control the heat source and these things tend to overheat, so a good safety valve, and a safe place for it to dump is critical. They tend to dump often and waste a lot of heat and energy, but can be used effectively. I had an old Monel tank that we removed just a couple of years ago, so there are still a few out there. If you need some diagrams, I think I may have a few in our old state plumbing code books. Let me know via e-mail and I'll try and look them up for you.

Comments

• Stew_5
    Stew_5 Member Posts: 23
    range boilers ok? Am I on the Edge?? Gravity expert needed!

I've been using a range boiler system with a wood stove for the last 20 years and have assumed that since nothing bad ever happened, it's probably ok. Are they safe and what is the best and safest way to design/install one?

Also looking to hire a professional who specializes in gravity systems to design one for me. In about 18 months I'll start building my new home. There is nobody listed in my area on the 'Find A Professional' page.
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    range boilers

> I've been using a range boiler system with a wood

> stove for the last 20 years and have assumed that

> since nothing bad ever happened, it's probably

> ok. Are they safe and what is the best and safest

> way to design/install one?

>

> Also looking to

> hire a professional who specializes in gravity

> systems to design one for me. In about 18 months

> I'll start building my new home. There is nobody

> listed in my area on the 'Find A Professional'

> page.

Very effective way to heat water if you use wood or coal heat in a stove. However, the one glaring problem with this set up is safety. It is difficult to control the heat source and these things tend to overheat, so a good safety valve, and a safe place for it to dump is critical. They tend to dump often and waste a lot of heat and energy, but can be used effectively. I had an old Monel tank that we removed just a couple of years ago, so there are still a few out there. If you need some diagrams, I think I may have a few in our old state plumbing code books. Let me know via e-mail and I'll try and look them up for you.
This discussion has been closed.