Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why Tekmar Rules

zac_2
zac_2 Member Posts: 32
they make complicated control jobs simple, i've been very pleased with their tN4 line.

Comments

• Worst Case Scenario

I have been a tekmar fan for a long time, but I just need to throw this out there as proof of what RTUs and PWM can do in a "thermostat".

Two years ago, a system was installed by a contractor with a then-relatively-new technology, a Weil Mclain Ultra, on a slab and thinslab system in the New hampshire mountains.

I just got a call today from the builder. The ultra has been running, set to 190 water temps, for two years. They have a slew of boiler problems related to improper installation on the project.

We are not controlling water temps w/the tekmar, the ultra's outdoor reset was supposed to take care of that; we are just using Tekmar 062 RTUs (this is before tN4) with a 367 zone manager. No mixing at all. Design temp for the radiant is 120, at -10 degree outdoor temps which I don't think this project has actually seen in the last two winters (certainly not this winter).

So even running.. oh, about a hundred degrees too hot.. those little RTUs have kept the room temps locked at setpoint. In mass. Did I mention a water temp a hundred degrees too high?

I'm freaking impressed. I kind of wish they weren't so good though; if the owners were roasting and blistering floors in there, maybe the boiler would have been fixed earlier.

Kudos to the guys and gals in BC. Keep up the good work!
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    I'll second that

we've used the tekmar 269 steam controller on several jobs and like it a lot. Good product line.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787

I'll third that. We installed a TN4 system in a house over the summer and lowered the customers gas bill by 75%!!! He is one happy camper.
  • Ross_7
    Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
    Tekmar..preferred choice

I have had nothing but good luck with Tekmar controls. Kudos to the Tekmar team! Great product line!
    Ross
  • Xc8p2dC_2
    Xc8p2dC_2 Member Posts: 150
    I guess I'll have to ask

If the ODR is is still in line, then wouldn't the Ultra still be modulating down to lower output water temps and not achieving the 190 temp the builder see's?

• Apparently the installer never set the reset curves properly and instead set the boiler to provide 190 target temps. so it modulates output around that water temp, but not water temps.
  • built IN Boost Feature

My understanding is that the WM Ultra comes programmed with a 14F boost that happens every 10 minutes of run time... and boosts up to the Boiler Limit (196F) unless the unit has been programmed using the WM passcode.
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Really curious as to why they do that

I've not worked with or installed an Ultra but have read that in the manuals I've looked at. To me, it seems a rather odd feature for an appliance that supposedly thrives on low water temps. Are they trying to protect the HX by drying the thing out? What would the purpose of that temp boost be?
  • Uni R_3
    Uni R_3 Member Posts: 299
    Boost

It's a feature. It can be left off or set to kick in after 1 to 30 minutes. The default on the Ultra is 10 minutes I think. The Prestige has the same computer module - it comes preset with it off.

If for any reason the reset curve is too low to satisfy the t-stat, then the system can be set up to boost the water temps beyond the normal curve. Maybe the owner is using setback or too much setback? Maybe someone left a door open? Maybe a window was broken? Maybe someone screwed up the curve's settings? Maybe someone just came back from vacation and wants the house warmed up quicker? All these situations can be avoided, yet if someone so desires they can set the computer to handle these occurrences so they aren't getting a phone call from a cold home owner.

Back to Tekmar...

The tn4 42X series controllers all have the ability to boost as well - I believe that Tekmar's rationale is to help with setback recovery.

It's a comfort feature, not a savings feature.
This discussion has been closed.