Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PHOTO-SIZE PROBLEM SOLVED (Dan H.)

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,582
Thanks!
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• DanHolohan
    If you want to post photos

you no longer have to be concerned about their size. Every photo attachment will now be a link at the bottom of the post. To open them, just click.

This will keep the oversized photos off the threads, so you won't have to scroll back and forth to read anymore.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Halleluiah !!!!

You mean I won't have to buy one of those 42" TV's for my PC ?

My mouse and I thank you :)
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,337
    Thanks,

Dan.

Now we can put up a group picture of all the Japanese players who will be playing in Boston this summer.

Go Pats.

Jack
  • Uni R_2
    Uni R_2 Member Posts: 589
    Hey Dan

How about also disabling the email notifications?

Because of all the cookie confusion we get tons of notifications when using real email addresses for subjects where we have neither posted or requested them.
  • DanHolohan
    Those are necessary.

Without them, we'd have to go to registration, with user names and passwords required for each post.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Uni R_2
    Are we talking about the same thing?

Dan, I'm talking about this check box option. I'm not sure how many need this but it appears to be working a bit too well. I get e-mail notifications for threads I don't even read.
  • DanHolohan
    Do you have the box checked?

Retired and loving it.
  • Uni R_2
    No

That's my point. Furthermore, I get notifications for threads I haven't even looked at. I think it's part of the cookie confusion that happens. I would doubt that I'm alone in this.
  • DanHolohan
    Did you ever

have the box checked?
    Retired and loving it.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    I have selected notification

• Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    I have never selected notification

• DanHolohan
    Try this.

Delete from your PC any cookies from heatinghelp.com or forums.invison. Then login from scratch. Let me know if that helps.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Uni R_2
    It's OK now...

I cleared the "invision" cookies. I also posted a test message into the Munchkin Noise thread (which is one that I was getting notifications on yet hadn't looked at the thread).

No notifications so far.

This cookie situation affects quite a bit. This is strictly my own opinion but sometimes I think the various cures here are worse than the disease (avoiding a logon/password). I certainly wouldn't mind having to log on before I can post.

So far the overall cure issues include:

- requiring the text box to prevent spam

- people accidently posting as someone else (did it the other day myself)

- people posting as someone else on purpose (subcooler claimed this happened to him)

- too many Dave's & Rob's all thinking they're unique

I'm just trying to point out the other side of the coin. I have no idea how much administration there would be for maintaining an access list on your part but I have no doubt that it is something that you would prefer to avoid - I certainly would. And you should also know, this is the best site on the internet!
  • Uni R_2
    It's OK now -- The Crazy Cookies strike often!

I cleared the "invision" cookies. I also posted a test message into the Munchkin Noise thread (which is one that I was getting notifications on yet hadn't looked at the thread).

No notifications so far.

This cookie situation affects quite a bit. This is strictly my own opinion but sometimes I think the various cures here are worse than the disease (avoiding a logon/password). I certainly wouldn't mind having to log on before I can post.

So far the overall cure issues include:

- requiring the text box to prevent spam

- needing and having to lengthen the time out parameter

- people accidently posting as someone else (did it the other day myself)

- people posting as someone else on purpose (subcooler claimed this happened to him)

- too many Dave's & Rob's posting with the same name

I'm just trying to point out the other side of the coin. I have no idea how much administration there would be for maintaining an access list on your part. I have no doubt that it is something that you would prefer to avoid, I would certainly try to avoid it as well.

Ahhh... the challenges of having the best site on the net.
  • DanHolohan
    I've looked into it,

and the guys at Invision and I have talked about this again and again. The administration involved in having eveyone have passwords and user names would be enormous. I would have to check eveyone who logs on, and I would have to verify that they are who they say they are. How would I do that? Would a test be required? Photo I.D.? Without such measures, there's nothing stopping an obnoxious person from creating a new user name and password and causing problems.

All I can hope for is that we continue to be mature enough to treat each other with respect, and to be willing to put up with some annoyances from time to time to gain the benefits this place has to offer - and at no charge.

I apologize for the inconvenience. We're doing the best we can with what we have to work with.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Rollie Peck
    Rollie Peck Member Posts: 47
    Photo size

Thanks Dan:

I live in a rural area with only slow speed dialup

internet access available. Large pictures take so long to

load that I give up on most of them.

Rollie Peck

Homeowner
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    check box

I agree. Keep the e-mail check box. By going to a registration/membership arrangement, the effect would be to virtually eliminate the homeowner's questions on the Wall. So then, why would we really be here? And what about all those who have listed themselves on "find a professional?" The Wall is the perfect gateway for homeowners to reach those ads.

Keep the little e-mail box and remind everyone to toss their cookies. Let me rephrase that...

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

This discussion has been closed.