Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pex crimps, stainlss vs copper

hr
hr Member Posts: 6,106
that the copper rings have served me well, dating all the way back to the PB days. If properly crimped, and installed in the correct position they hold temperature and pressure. 100 psi plus!

I have been trying some stainless crimps with the PAP and Viega FostaPex products. I like the concept of the dual crimp.

The stainless are much thiner gauge. That would concern me in a wet corrosive enviroment. Chlorides seem to be the nemesis of stainless. I'm not sure what could leach out of wet concrete or various gravels when wet.

With either copper or stainless, heat shrink sleeves might be cheap insurance for splices in the ground or slab.

Stainless crimps, and even aluminum are used on very hot and high pressure hydraulic hoses.

hot rod

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=144&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Kal Row
    Kal Row Member Posts: 1,520
    pex crimps, stainlss vs copper....

any long-term experience with pex crimps? - is the stainless pinched type better or the copper all around crimped better?, how about under concrete? - i know, all the solutions are too new to even be called "long-term", i do know that the compression types leaks and are flow restrictive - whereas the crimp types have a CV equal to 6ft of the same pex
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Crimp, pinch or press, that is the question

I've used the copper crimp rings and had the same results as Hot Rod spoke of, that being very few problems. The pinch type Otiker rings that we used in the past have exhibited a seep or two on jobs that I have had the occasion to go back to. I like the Stainless steel press sleeve from Viega for overall performance and ease of use. They work with any standard dimemsion pex along with Viega's Fosta-Pex (PAP type) product.I also like Viega's brass fittings due to their uniform quality and extra "barbs" on the fittings itself.
This discussion has been closed.