Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men photos

Dave Stroman
Dave Stroman Member Posts: 766
I love these old photos. I work a lot with old raditors and it is cool to see them when they are new.
My grandfather was a fireman in a sugar factory in Greeley and Windsor, Colorado. It was in the 60's and he did not have to shovel the coal by then. All automated by then with hoppers and conveyer belts that feed the coal. The entire plant was opperated with steam pressure. I remember seeing the boilers. Wish I had paid more attention.

Dave in Denver

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

How 'bout a word for these guys...the rad test was at the main hospital here in SLC. All photos are about 1920 or so. Utah State Historical Society.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    That's

a "hospital-type" radiator too- with extra-high legs to clear the cooling leg going to the trap!

I don't recognize that trap- wonder what kind of Vapor system that was? Any of it left now?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Timco

Just added a few more!!!
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    The guy with the tie

Was obviously the engineer on the team. His clothes are clean and I think that's a pocket protector under his suspenders. Another observation......judging from the "pull up factor" on the pants worn by the guy on the left, plumber's crack was not an issue. :)
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Just add glasses

and it looks a bit like Dan hmmmmm

David
  • Not wanting to upset the apple cart, but them boilers have BIG

FURNACES, blast FURNACES.

Cool pictures. I'll see what I can dig up from the Denver Museum of Natural History.

Based on the one photo, looks like Coogan had a negative run in with the railroad. STILL a powerful entity.

Thanks for sharing Tim.

ME
  • Found some....

Enjoy!

ME
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    What are they piping together?

The trap seems to me to be a 522 Webster trap, an old float trap converted to bellows operation with the newer Sylphon cover. Thus the extra height.

But the radiator does not seem connected to steam, the trap cooling leg goes further along the wall past the radiator, and the there is also an air bleeder, and why did those guys connect this rubber fire hose with the important pressure gauge. There was also a big nasty spill (of blood it seems) right there below the connection.

What sort of hospital was this? I see there is a van waiting outside... perhaps the men in white coats have already come out.
  • Timco

I find it hard to look these good men in the eye without wanting to spend a day in any of their shoes....may we never forget how easy we really have it and what it took for a city to have heat back then!!!

Tim
  • Timco

SWEET pics, Mark. Thanks. God bless these fine men, and thanks to them!!

Tim
  • realolman
    realolman Member Posts: 513
    excavators

I really enjoyed these pictures.

I'm not getting how the excavators worked, though.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    They look like they were

pressure-testing that radiator with water.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • I think

so too Frank,,,look out the open window,, seems like they still have a few to go!!

Dave
  • Timco
    and for you plumbers....

• Timco
    rads 4 sale!!!

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

EXCELLENT MATERIAL, THANKX
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    engineer is

wearing an engineer's ring on his left hand. I heard this was common then.

wonderful photos. thanks.

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

• Kevin O. Pulver
    Kevin O. Pulver Member Posts: 380
    Thanks Guys!

I really enjoy those pictures.
    Just think... There was no Ridgid 300 and maybe no Ridgid at all yet! And they all died of asbestos exposure.
    Kevin
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    And the building the show is in

has a 2-pipe air-vent steam system!

• Seattle Nick
    Seattle Nick Member Posts: 64

• jeff lange
    jeff lange Member Posts: 8

Do you think they have combustion analyzer?
  • scott w.
    scott w. Member Posts: 209

Some great pics. One looks like a boiler from a Colorado mine building. My g. grandfather and his brother went west in the 1880's and ended up for a time in Ouray Co. working at the Virginius Mine which was at thirteen thousand feet above sea level. He got the job firing the steam boiler only because it exploded and killed the previous fireman.

He put his wild west stories on paper in the 1950's. He wrote, they would fire the boiler until the riveted patches on the boiler glowed red. That's how you knew you had enough steam. His last job was mucking out the shaft.

A good way to be a dead man for sure!!!!

He survived and had earned enough money to go back to Pennslyvania to buy a farm and marry his sweathart. His brother died in Colorado of silicosis of the lung at age 37.
This discussion has been closed.